Facilities Maintenance Technician
Performs technical and trades work in the maintenance, repair and upkeep of Town buildings and facilities.
An employee in this class is responsible for maintaining and repairing the Town’s buildings, equipment and systems which includes performing semi-skilled to journey level skilled trades work. Trades work performed includes electrical, carpentry, plumbing, construction, and painting primarily requiring basic to journey level skills, but no license is required in any of the trades. Performs preventive maintenance on equipment and systems and engages in the diagnosis and repair of HVAC systems, electrical systems, water-based fire sprinkler system, plumbing systems, door locks, closures and electronic access system.
Work requires initiative and knowledge of the varied trade practices and skills. The employee provides oversight of contract workers when assigned to assist in building maintenance. Work requires exposure to inside and outside environments, in extreme cold and hot weather. Hazards in the work include: exposures to loud noises, vibrations, proximity to moving mechanical parts, electrical current, working in high places, and exposure to chemicals, fumes, odors, dusts, mists, gases, and oils. The employee is also subject to OSHA Standards on blood borne pathogens.
Work is performed under the general supervision of the Facilities Maintenance Supervisor and is reviewed through observation, and discussion for quality, appearance and functionality.
• Performs semi-skilled to journey level trades work in several trades such as electrical, carpentry, painting, masonry, plumbing and HVAC.
• Assists the Facilities Maintenance Supervisor overseeing the work of contractors installing new roofs, electrical or plumbing systems, repairing HVAC, or making major repairs on electrical, plumbing, etc.; ensures work is completed in accordance with Town requirements and according to safety standards.
• Repairs and maintains interior and exterior lighting; installs and replaces lights, light fixtures and ballasts; installs and repairs switches and outlets; installs/runs wires and fuse boxes assuring proper grounding and without any cross wiring; adds indoor and outdoor lighting fixtures; maintains electrical panels.
• Maintains, troubleshoots and repairs door locks, closures and electronic access system.
• Maintains, repairs, and installs plumbing fixtures; unstops drains; installs valves, and toilets; repairs leaks to toilet and kitchen plumbing fixtures; maintains all pipes from the street to the unit, and on occasion, will participate in the repair of pipes under Town streets.
• Maintains HVAC systems including diagnosis and repair of the systems and performing preventive maintenance, replacing filters, checking belts, troubleshooting the system, cleaning the evaporator and condensing coils and troubleshooting the electrical components of the system.
• Maintains, repairs and replaces doors and locks.
• Performs carpentry and related construction work; frames and insulates walls and installs trim molding; repairs, remodels and/or replaces building structures; repairs loose hinges; caulks windows and replaces broken glass; builds shelves, cabinets and fences; hangs, replaces, or repairs walls, patches holes; and generally, replaces, fixes or repairs any damaged wood to buildings.
• Operates a variety of light power and hand tools; operates a Town vehicle.
• May develop materials and supplies list needed for jobs assigned; purchases materials and supplies.
• Performs all work in accordance with OSHA and Town safety standards and regulations.
• Responds to citizens’ questions while working on projects providing clear information on the project and/or referring the person to the appropriate resource within the Town.
• Performs related duties as required.
• Semi-skilled to journey level knowledge of the principles and techniques of several skilled trades.
• Journey level knowledge of the methods, tools, and equipment used in the assigned trades.
• Thorough knowledge of safety regulations, occupational hazards and related safety precautions in the work.
• Skill in the use and care of assigned tools and equipment.
• Working knowledge of the concepts and philosophy of teamwork and ability to work effectively as part of a team.
• Ability to diagnose and repair problems and plan and organize corrective action.
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to deal tactfully, courteously, and firmly with the customers and the public.
• Ability to exercise judgment and initiative.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, supervisor, and other Town employees.
• Must be able to physically perform the basic life functions of climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
• Must be able to perform heavy work exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently; and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
• Must possess visual acuity to assemble or fabricate parts; to operate machines such as drills and power saws, to perform skilled trade tasks of non-repetitive nature, to use measurement devices, to keep and maintain various records; and to determine the accuracy, neatness and thoroughness of work assigned.
• Desirable Education and Experience
• Graduation from high school and journey level experience in the varied trades, particularly in the electrical or HVAC trade; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Possession of a valid North Carolina driver’s license; class B CDL preferred for operation of the bucket truck.
All job requirements are subject to possible revision to reflect changes in the position requirements or to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to which will be required in this position.
Employees will be required to follow other job-related duties as requested by their supervisor/manager (within guidelines and compliance with Federal and State Laws).
Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.
• Hiring Range: $38,632 – $49,257
• Salary Range: $38,632 – $59,881