Augustine Literacy Project® – Charlotte (ALP) is a Charlotte-based non-profit with a mission to improve the reading, writing, and spelling skills of under-resourced children who struggle with literacy by providing free, long-term, one-on-one instruction from highly-trained tutors.
ALP pursues this mission utilizing a one-on-one tutoring methodology for students in first, second and third grades built on the research-based Orton-Gillingham approach and uses materials developed by Wilson Language® Training Corporation and ALP. In school year 2020-2021, during the pandemic, ALP volunteer tutors supported 19 Charlotte-Mecklenburg schools, serving 178 students through 3,779 free tutoring sessions. Coming out of the pandemic, ALP is poised for aggressive growth with a target of serving 350 students through a combination of in-person and virtual tutoring.
Augustine Literacy Project-Charlotte’s vision is that all children have access to reading instruction that meets their individual needs and improves their opportunities to be successful in school and in life. ALP is undergoing a period of strategic growth and has begun playing a significant role in the larger movement to help children recover missed learning due to COVID 19 and bring about a reading revolution in our community.
This well organized, tech savvy and reliable individual will collaborate with the Training Manager and team to evaluate the organization’s training needs to create and deliver in-person and virtual training classes complete with materials, tutorials, instructions and learning resources such as online modules, and guides. The incumbent must have outstanding written, verbal, and interpersonal skills and be comfortable with public speaking.
This position will work 40 hours a week with summer flexibility. ALP’s curriculum instruction and programing responsibilities compliment school hours and calendar
• Assist with development and implementation of the new Learning Management System (LMS)
• Assist with all aspects of the tutor training program including but not limited to, creating course content, creation of tutor profiles, distribution of course materials, and handling various logistics
• Support the selection and the training of new tutor coaches
• Organize the delivery and implementation of ALP’s Lunch Bunch continuing education program and targeted skills workshops
• Drive ALP brand value through all training and development activities
• Assist with all technologies that may be used or implemented in the training process
• Deliver scheduled training classes on-line or in-person
• Handle any additional duties assigned by the Training Manager
• A passion for ALP’s mission and commitment to the belief that effective reading instruction can change the trajectory of a child’s life.
• An understanding that literacy is a fundamental component of improving social mobility and access to opportunity in our community.
• Excellent verbal and communication skills
• Excellent relationship building skills, both internally and externally
• Comfortable and confident with public speaking
• Strong project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects
• Ability to empathize with individuals as they learn new skills
• Personable individual who values working in a creative environment
• Bachelor’s Degree required
• Relevant teaching or training certifications, and completion of Orton-Gillingham training are a plus
• Ability to give engaging and professional on-line or in-person presentations
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office or G Suite applications
• Adequate knowledge of learning management systems and other web platforms like Prezi, Canva or Zoom a plus
• Good interpersonal skills with the ability to compassionately communicate with individuals who have a different technology skill set
• Ability to complete full training cycle (assess needs, plan, develop, coordinate, monitor and evaluate)
• Use known education principles and stay up-to-date on new training methods and techniques
ALP is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or genetic information.
Please send resume, cover letter and professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application review will begin immediately.