Performs a variety of responsible entry level clerical, administrative, and program support duties in a department, division, or other organizational unit of the Town.
Essential function of the job:
An employee in this class performs a variety of administrative support duties. Work includes serving as the initial point of public contact, operating the reception function, relaying information, performing word processing, data entry, records management, and file maintenance functions. The employee is expected to have a general understanding of the work unit, the Town and related services to respond to routine inquiries; non routine questions or situations are referred to others. Work involves heavy public contact and customer service functions. Specific oral and/or written instructions are available to apply to most work situations. Work uses automated systems to perform the duties and tasks. Work is performed under regular supervision and is evaluated through observation, conferences, and the quality and effectiveness of work completed.
Essential duties and tasks:
• Answers telephone, directs calls, and greets visitors. Answers questions; gives program information based on the type of request; schedules appointments for staff.
• Receives and delivers mail for department and for all Town departments when needed; screens departmental mail, documents, and other materials and routes according to general knowledge of the work unit operations and key personnel.
• Compiles a wide variety of information into records, reports, or forms for periodic reporting of departmental and program activity.
• Maintains departmental program and other files and retrieves information for the public and other staff.
• Performs scanning and data entry to maintain and retrieve a variety of files, databases, calculate bills, and generate reports.
• Reviews and processes data and information according to specific guidelines; applies various rules and procedures, compares information requiring detailed attention and careful accuracy.
• Prepares letters and correspondence and uses mail merge functions.
• Maintains necessary inventory of supplies and materials; places orders as needed.
• Reviews and verifies documents to ensure that information provided is complete and correct.
• Compiles information using standardized forms or specific instructions.
• Types correspondence, reports, and other materials; types rough drafts from handwritten or other marked copy; enters correct information onto forms or form letters to fit varying situations.
• Enters information into data bases, spreadsheets, or other electronic formats.
• Maintains departmental time records and leave accruals and submits to Finance.
• Makes copies and stocks brochures, forms, and other materials available for the public in the reception area and on bulletin boards.
• Maintains inventory of merchandise and sets prices based on wholesale price.
• Backs up and assists other department personnel as needed.
Additional job duties:
Performs related duties as required.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Working knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
• Working knowledge of grammar, spelling, and vocabulary.
• Working knowledge of the use and care of personal computers and related software, hardware, and peripherals including word processing, spreadsheets, and specialized software packages.
• Skill and accuracy in the use of standard office equipment.
• Skill in customer service excellence.
• Ability to communicate effectively in person and by telephone.
• Ability to be tactful and courteous.
• Ability to schedule appointments and meetings based on general oral or written instructions.
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions and procedures.
• Ability to keyboard and perform scanning, word processing, or data entry tasks with accuracy at the speed required by the particular program or position utilizing the services of this role.
• Ability to organize and apply filing and coding systems and to arrange and place records, reports, and files into a proper sequence.
• Ability to compile data and information for reports or internal working data and statistics.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public and other employees.
• Accuracy and attention to detail
• Ability to follow established work priorities and meet established deadlines.
• Ability to organize work for efficient processing.
• Ability to proof read records and data.
• Physical Requirements and Education
• Must be able to physically perform the basic life operational functions of stooping, reaching, standing, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
• Must be able to perform sedentary work, exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
• Must possess the visual acuity to work with data and figures, do some accounting tasks, operate a computer terminal, and do extensive reading
Desirable education and experience:
Graduation from high school and some administrative support experience, involving an emphasis on public contact and office technology; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Hiring Range: $15.28 – $19.48
• Salary Range: $15.28 – $23.68