Senior Graphic Designer
The Office of Creative Services at Gardner-Webb University is a division of University Communications and Marketing. Our creative team manages the University’s brand, builds client and vendor relationships, and produces a variety of University collateral. We are seeking a Senior Graphic Designer to join our team.
The Senior Graphic Designer is an exempt, full-time member of Creative Services, and takes a lead role in conceptualizing, designing, and producing University collateral, under the direction of the Associate Vice President for Marketing/Creative Director. This process involves developing high-level graphic design solutions, assisting with and directing photo shoots, determining printing specifications and obtaining print bids, selecting vendors, preparing files for print and digital output, managing production and delivery of projects, and collaborating with clients and team members to produce materials that adhere to University brand standards and support the University’s messaging, vision, and goals. Typical projects include, but are not limited to University publications, mailings, billboards, advertisements, logo creation, promotional swag, and digital banners, along with a range of other marketing and campaign materials.
The Senior Graphic Designer’s role is essential in supporting the Associate Vice President for Marketing/Creative Director. At times, this lead position will be required to manage Creative Services’ job flow, provide constructive design feedback and art direction, and attend meetings in the Associate Vice President for Marketing/Creative Director’s absence.
The position will be based both in Charlotte, NC at Gardner-Webb University’s Charlotte campus and on the main University campus in Boiling Springs, NC. How time is allocated between these locations will be determined by the Associate Vice President for Marketing/Creative Director.
• Bachelor’s degree in graphic design
• 10 years of professional graphic design experience
• Experience working in a Mac OS environment
• Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat) and Microsoft Office
• Advanced knowledge of the print production process and preparing files for print
• Understanding of digital design and output (social media graphics, website banners, digital signage, etc.)
• Experience collaborating with creative teams, clients, and vendors
• Excellent interpersonal, communication, presentation, and client service skills
• Strong eye for color, composition, typography, and photo editing
• Commitment to quality and attention to detail
• Exceptional organizational skills with strong initiative and follow through
• Must possess project management experience—managing and prioritizing multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, with the ability to develop and maintain production schedules and oversee projects with a high degree of accuracy
• Ability to work within brand guidelines, conceptualize projects, articulate design solutions, provide art direction, act with a sense of urgency, problem solve technical and print production issues, meet deadlines, maintain electronic job files, and serve as an informational resource for campus constituencies as appropriate
• Experience in higher education is helpful
• Photography, animation and environmental graphic design skills are a plus