Girls on the Run International is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to creating a world where every girl knows and activates her limitless potential and is free to boldly pursue her dreams. We inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running. Over 180 Councils in 50 states serve 200,000+ girls a year and engage close to 100,000 volunteers.
At Girls on the Run, our core values guide our way, and we stand firm in our long-standing commitment to building a world where every person can know and activate their limitless potential. We warmly welcome the participation of any child who identifies as “girl”, non-binary, or gender expansive in our programs. We are committed to leveraging our intellectual, financial, and human resources to advance strategies to be inclusive, equitable and accessible to all. Our headquarters and councils are working to bring diverse voices to the table as we know that unique perspectives strengthen the quality and scope of our organization. We pledge to be a reflection of the communities we engage, not only in appearance, but also through fostering an atmosphere of community connectedness that serves as a model for our girls and other stakeholders.
The Engagement team at Girls on the Run is comprised of passionate, creative, hardworking and collaborative people. All aspects of marketing and fundraising funnel through this team with communication at the center. We are a passionate group of people and today’s climate requires that our team be adaptable and flexible to continue to serve our stakeholders.
Reporting directly to the Director of Marketing & Brand Strategy, the Communications Manager excels in the use of effective storytelling and utilizes advanced writing skills across multiple platforms to expand and diversify the organization’s participant and volunteer base, increase brand awareness, improve financial performance and drive stakeholder engagement. This position is primarily responsible for developing and executing internal communications strategies and tactics to ensure the council network is informed, connected, and aligned with the mission and goals of the organization.
The Communications Manager will ensure that all messaging, talking points, and print and promotional materials are produced to a high standard and reflect the mission, vision and values of the organization.
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
Internal communications and council support:
• Deploy effective internal communications approaches that promote council engagement, connection, and satisfaction including the production and distribution of weekly council e-newsletter, ongoing internal email communication, and guides and resources.
• Work closely with the Program, Engagement and Council Development teams to define marketing strategies, materials and programs that support the council network and drive audience engagement.
• Measure and analyze internal communications efforts for effectiveness against stated goals. Use data to make recommendations for improvement.
• Maintain the accuracy of council email audience segments, ensuring that content aligns with the intended audience.
• Manage Intranet (Council Portal) updates.
External communications and media relations:
• Write, review and edit compelling, inclusive and strategic content for external marketing purposes, including but not limited to blog content, print materials, promotional collateral, campaigns, email marketing, annual report, and newsletters.
• Compose and distribute thought leadership pieces that position Girls on the Run as an expert in positive youth development, volunteer training and engagement, nonprofit leadership, commitment to IDEA (inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility) and girl empowerment.
• Proofread and edit reports and other documents for grammar, syntax and consistency with brand and style guidelines.
• Collaborate with the Creative Services team on the development and execution of marketing materials, from concept and copy development through activation.
• Collaborate with the Digital Marketing team to proactively manage the organization’s editorial calendar, identifying content to strategically further the mission through digital mediums.
• Work in collaboration with the Director of Marketing and Brand Strategy to develop and execute a proactive national media strategy that builds awareness and understanding of the organization’s work and brand nationally.
• Develop and distribute press releases to national media, working in partnership with the Director of Marketing and Brand Strategy to write, pitch and place stories in traditional and non-traditional media.
• Monitor key media outlets and websites for news and trends that will impact the organization and share with Engagement team and others as applicable.
• Update media resources for councils, including media talking points, press release templates for core Girls on the Run activities and local media lists.
• Manage project timelines and communicate with key project stakeholders to ensure deadlines are met.
• Nurture and support a caring, results-oriented culture that embraces personal responsibility, performance and quality.
• Exemplify the Girls on the Run core values with others to advance the organization’s mission.
• Maintain high standard of integrity and ensure security of confidential information.
• Develop positive relationships with council directors, volunteers, board members, community members and staff.
• Any other duties deemed necessary by the Director of Marketing and Brand Strategy
• 5+ years marketing and communications experience in a fast-paced, goal-driven environment, with a minimum of 3 years of professional writing experience.
• Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communication or Advertising or comparable experience.
• Strong communicator with excellent written (specifically AP style), editing and interpersonal skills.
• Proven success at developing creative marketing tactics to achieve measurable goals.
• Effective project manager, highly organized and proactive with the ability to take initiative and manage multiple tasks and projects at a time and deliver within deadlines.
• Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite, Google Analytics and Google AdWords.
• Enthusiasm combined with a genuine commitment to and passion for the mission of Girls on the Run.
• Nonprofit experience and/or DEI certifications are a plus.
• Writing samples (published) requested upon submission.
This is a full-time, exempt position, offering a compensation range of $55,000 – $60,000 depending on experience. In addition, Girls on the Run offers a generous PTO plan, a benefits package including company-subsidized medical and dental, vision coverage, life insurance, and paid medical leave and a 401k plan with employer match. This position is 40 hours per week and is remote. The selected candidate must currently reside in or have immediate plans to relocate to one of the following states: California, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas.