Augustine Literacy Project – Charlotte (ALP) is a Charlotte-based non-profit with a mission to improve the reading, writing and spelling skills of under-resourced children who struggle with literacy by providing free, long-term, one-on-one instruction from highly-trained tutors.
ALP pursues this mission utilizing a one-on-one methodology for students in first, second and third grades built on the research-based Orton-Gillingham approach and uses materials developed by Wilson Language Training Corporation and ALP. In school year 2020-21, during the pandemic, ALP volunteer tutors supported 19 Charlotte-Mecklenburg schools, serving 178 students through 3,779 free tutoring sessions. Coming out of the pandemic, ALP is poised for aggressive growth with a target of serving over 350 students through a combination of in-person and virtual tutoring.
Augustine Literacy Project-Charlotte’s vision is that all children have access to reading instruction that meets their individual needs and improves their opportunities to be successful in school and in life. ALP is undergoing a period of strategic growth and has begun playing a significant role in the larger movement to help children recover missed learning due to COVID 19 and bring about a reading revolution in our community.
The Executive Assistant provides one on one support to the Executive Director, serving as the primary point of contact for all internal and external constituencies on matters pertaining to the Office of the Executive Director. Organization, prioritization and professionalism are critical in coordinating the Executive Director’s calendar, schedule and internal/external balance. The incumbent must be flexible and motivated to work in an environment that is mission driven, results driven and team oriented. The Executive Assistant will have the ability to work under pressure at times in handling a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion.
• Supports the Executive Director in all administrative functions. Daily contact with staff members as well as key donors, volunteers and members of the local business, philanthropic and faith community. Coordinates heavy calendar management and the preparation, gathering and distribution of supporting materials.
• Facilitates efficient administrative processes for ALP including general office support and maintenance of the master calendar and coordination of staff meetings. Has broad knowledge of ALP’s day-to-day functioning and is able to perform research, gather data, produce administrative reports, and independently compose correspondence. May manage special projects independently or participate on project teams in support of organizational initiatives.
• Research, prioritize, and follow up on incoming issues addressed to the Executive Director, including those of a confidential or sensitive matter.
• Works alongside the Advancement team by coordinating Executive Director’s involvement in Development and Recruitment activities and providing support for events, managing specific donor relationships and donor stewardship
• Communicate directly, on behalf of the Executive Director, with board members, donors and others, as needed.
• Provide administrative support related to the board of directors materials and meetings.
• Associate Degree or College Degree preferred or equivalent administrative knowledge from advanced administrative experiences. Minimum of 3 years administrative experience desired.
• Need for highly refined communication skills, written and oral.
• Extremely organized with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships with various constituencies; requires high level of tact and integrity.
• Ability to work in a fast paced, deadline driven environment, remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient.
• Must have advanced knowledge of office and administrative procedures and excellent PC skills in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Preferred analytical skills, knowledge of budgeting and various reporting processes.
ALP is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or genetic information.