Director of Children’s Ministry
Covenant Presbyterian is a dynamic Christian community that gladly invites all people into a transformational experience of faith; boldly proclaims the gospel, bravely works toward a whole and just world and passionately nurtures discipleship.
Our location, on the edge of downtown and embedded in a historic neighborhood, provides ample opportunity to serve people from many walks of life. Our steeple graces the skyline of Charlotte, reminding us and our neighbors we are loved by God and called to share that love. Our main entrance, open to all, bears the words, “To the Greater Glory of God” reminding us why we are here.
At Covenant, the Director of Children’s Ministries is the voice for both the needs and the faith development of our children. You will work alongside a committed staff and gifted lay leadership to nurture children birth to 5th grade and their families. This role touches over 300 children and represents a meaningful opportunity to create high value impact by meeting families and children where they are, welcoming them into our faith community and walking alongside them through milestone moments, hardships and joys. Through ongoing relationships with families, the Director will assist parents in cultivating their children’s faith at home.
The Director of Children’s Ministries is responsible for planning, conducting, and evaluating all aspects of programming with particular focus on how the program nurtures the children’s spiritual growth. A successful candidate will also have a passion for hospitality welcoming visiting and member families alike to the children’s ministry and to the broader community of Covenant.
• Four-year college degree
• 3-5 years of related experience preferred
• A personal Christian faith and an ability to articulate this faith to children and their parents
Key competencies and characteristics:
• Strong organizational skills
• Strong communication skills
• Willingness and effectiveness in recruiting and engaging volunteers
• A comprehensive understanding of children’s developmental and cognitive abilities, resulting in developmentally appropriate curriculum and program design
• A demonstrated ability to work well with parents, and motivate members to secure broadened involvement with and commitment to the children’s Christian education structure
Additional duties and responsibilities:
Family engagement & faith formation:
• Coordinate to link families with needed pastoral services at the church and apprise ministerial staff of family needs, when appropriate
• Engage members of the congregation in children’s ministry through tools such as Time & Talent and worship response cards and by building relationship
• Provide opportunities for parents to connect socially and build community
Sunday mornings & Wednesday nights and special events:
• Recruitment of Sunday School teachers
• Oversight of all Sunday morning activities and support for children including childcare, Sunday school and music
• Production of the holiday children’s programs at Christmas and at Easter
• Coordination of Wednesday night children’s programming for Open Table (a Wednesday night program for all ages that includes dinner and educational offerings)
• Development and leadership of Vacation Bible School
• Lead chapel for the Covenant Preschool and Child Development Center as needed
Administrative and supervisory:
• Meet all childcare needs for church activities, when needed
• Supervise paid nursery workers
• Serve as staff liaison for the Early Childhood Education Committee and Elementary Education Committee
• Attend all-staff and staff Ministry of Education meetings
• Collaborate with Education team to provide consistent leadership and direction to the overall Christian education program, and to design and implement effective and sustainable transitions from one program level to the next.