Director of Communications
Covenant Presbyterian Church is a dynamic Christian community that
• Invites all people into a transformational experience of faith
• Boldly proclaims the gospel
• Bravely works toward a whole and just world
• Passionately nurtures discipleship
Covenant seeks a director of communications to articulate our mission.
• Oversee, manage, and develop ongoing and regular communications with members of all ages (13 to 113), partners, and guests locally, nationally, and abroad using all platforms
• Provide communications support for Covenant ministries and leadership: education, congregational life, mission and outreach, worship and music
• Create awareness for Covenant Presbyterian Church and its mission in the Charlotte community, invite people to worship, and nurture relationships with communications support
Essential duties and responsibilities:
• Develop and execute a holistic, strategic, and detailed annual communications plan based on Covenant’s mission and goals.
• Be a creative thought partner to proactively dream up communications ideas for each ministry and annual initiatives. Work closely with program and worship staff for advance planning.
• Create detailed weekly and long-range plans for content creation targeted to members, guests, and partners including publication schedules, editorial calendars, topic generation and messaging themes, and templates.
• Develop an internal process, including lead times, for initiating and prioritizing promotions and campaigns.
Brand and Platform Management
• Refine as needed the Covenant brand identity, positioning, key messages, brand standards, and guidelines. Guide and direct staff on appropriate brand and imagery usage.
• Engage with our audiences of all ages and stages to ensure a consistent communications experience from the online to offline world. (iPhone to parking lot to pew).
• Develop understanding of members, guests, and new members and tailor messaging to resonate. Understand current church participation trends and adapt messaging to make church communications comfortable and friendly for all.
• Audit, understand, and make recommendations (as needed) for Covenant’s marketing platforms to ensure best practices and use (email, social, website/CMS, Google/SEO, and other worship/congregation-specific platforms), including staff use.
• Lead, create or oversee creation of print, digital communications, and content using any and all mediums (email content, web content, blogging, social media, print media, videos, etc.) with a high standard of creativity, excellence, and effectiveness. This may include design, graphics, copywriting, and layout development.
• Oversee the use of technology including social media, paid search, and organic search to build an online presence and social awareness.
• Manage content and messaging on the website; implement SEO (paid and organic).
• Build and deliver reports that summarize campaign, web and social performance and utilize data driven recommendations for strategy adjustments.
• Funnel media inquiries as appropriate to senior minister.
• Manage and account for marketing and communications/department budget.
• Manage marketing timelines, scope, resources (staff and laypeople), and expectations.
• Be a self-starter with a player-coach mentality.
• Manage Communications staff, external suppliers, and volunteer(s).
Proven ability to perform each essential duty satisfactorily, including being able to comfortably give expression to a Christian faith journey.
Education and experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 5-8+ years of marketing industry experience (corporate, agency, or non-profit) with a grasp of digital landscape and technology
• Desire for continued education in marketing best practices and trends
• Ability to articulate Christian beliefs with an understanding of the Reformed Presbyterian tradition of faith will be a plus
• Demonstrated success working in collaborative team environments, establishing trust, credibility, and confidence.
• Excellent written and communications skills, including proofreading
• Excellent content building skills and experience
• Experience working with major search engine products and SEO tools (i.e. Google Analytics, Google Adwords, GTM, etc.)
• Knowledge of design, photo, and video editing software (i.e. Adobe Suite)
• Intermediate to advanced knowledge of social media platforms
• Strong understanding of current online marketing concepts, strategy, best practices, and analytics
• Video production and photography skills would be a plus
• Ability to learn and use worship presentation software (such as ProPresenter) proficiently to edit worship visual presentations would be a plus.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and other basic software
Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.