Community Engagement Manager
Levine Museum of the New South’s mission is to connect the past to the future to realize the promises of a New South. Levine Museum uses history to build a just and equitable community through experiences, programs, and services that help people understand the world today through the lens of history and inspire them to imagine a stronger, more equitable future. As Charlotte’s premiere memory-keeper and storyteller, Levine Museum serves adults, families, students and educators, corporations, and civic organizations through experiences that animate history and through dialogue, grounded in history, aimed at making a difference.
As we become a community-centered, digital-first museum, we seek a Community Engagement Manager who will grow and sustain our network of community partners and help us create experiences, programs, and services with, for, and about the communities we serve across a variety of platforms.
As a member of the Education Team, the Community Engagement Manager will participate in developing an audience-focused culture of equity, creativity, collaboration, and respect that welcomes new ideas, experimentation, and joy. As the Levine Museum’s “ear to the ground” in Charlotte communities, the Community Engagement Manager will:
• Envision and pursue strategies to develop and deepen the Museum’s connections with a network of community-based and community-serving organizations (including city government, colleges and universities, faith-based organizations, social service non-profits, and cultural institutions), neighborhood groups, and schools in Charlotte and the region that intersect with our mission and audiences;
• Facilitate strong communication between the Museum and organizations/groups/individuals in the network by attending meetings and community events, reporting back to the team about relevant events and projects, and identifying opportunities for specific partnerships and cross-promotion;
• Drive community engagement with projects and programs, solicit feedback, grow audiences, and help ensure that community stories inform the Charlotte narrative offered by Levine Museum and partners;
• Help create community advisory groups to shape Education Team work, facilitate dialogue at advisory meetings, and recruit volunteers;
• Work with the marketing team to promote programs and events on social media and press releases and collect data and feedback on the success of these initiatives.
• 3+ years of experience in planning, executing, and assessing inclusive community engagement initiatives for educational or cultural institutions, other non-profits, city government, or related organizations;
• Strong social and professional networking skills, experience in community organizing and knowledge of community organizing best practices;
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with diverse communities;
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and experience with social media and communications writing;
• Experience with public speaking, including facilitating and moderating community meetings and dialogues;
• Strong organizational skills and the demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and ongoing relationships;
• Capacity and willingness to support the organization beyond primary responsibilities, and to work evenings and weekends when required;
• Fluency in a language in addition to English a plus.
• A passion for history, education, and community building is essential. Experience with schools and with analytics preferred.
Please send resume and cover letter to: Franky Abbott at email@example.com by June 4, 2021. No phone calls please.
At Levine Museum of the New South, diversity and inclusion are core values. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected class. We strongly encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply.