Deputy Director, Strategy & Operations
Leading on Opportunity is a collaborative, community-wide initiative launched to serve as the community champion to unite and propel efforts to positively impact economic opportunity for all children in Charlotte-Mecklenburg. Leading on Opportunity serves to amplify, aggregate and accelerate efforts across the community to create a more just and equitable Charlotte Mecklenburg for all children – regardless of income, race or zip code – creating a place where all children feel they belong, have big dreams, and find the opportunities to achieve those dreams.
Housed under the Foundation For The Carolinas, Leading on Opportunity is organized as a backbone organization leading a collective impact effort across Mecklenburg County. We take a systemic approach to address three key determinants of early childhood education, college and career readiness and family stability, while simultaneously focusing on two cross-cutting factors of segregation and social capital.
We are looking for someone who is are deeply committed to our vision of increased economic mobility and racial equity. This is a role for someone who takes a holistic view on internal organizational and programmatic operations that enable sustainable community progress.
This role might be right for you if, you are a results-driven problem solver who thinks fast on your feet and is skilled at connecting the dots. You are a systems thinker and skilled project manager who enjoys managing teams and are skilled at elevating people to their best work. You have a positive, can-do attitude and are curious, confident, and loyal. You thrive in a fast-paced environment and are excited to work in a community focused and entrepreneurial organization guided by visionary leadership.
Duties & responsibilities:
Strategic oversight & project management
• Provide oversight and direction for team-wide project planning and implementation activities, including advising on long-term strategic planning and improved project management systems.
• Collaborate with the Director and organization leadership to identify organizational goals, define project objectives, and align project activities with organizational priorities and resources.
• Regularly brief the Director on project progress and performance and help prioritize areas requiring additional Director involvement and guidance.
• Ensure that project management systems are used effectively and consistently across the organization.
• Manage and own key projects, as needed.
Internal communications & collaboration:
• Partner with the Director in coordinating communications and maintaining key relationships with RISE staff, Board members, partners, donors, and vendors
• Provide regular written updates to LOO staff, Council, and philanthropic partners
• Assist in preparing materials and coordinating schedules for regular Council meetings
• Support efficient and effective organizational meetings and collaboration through the development of agendas, minutes, and other proactive measures to support workflow
• Plan and implement organizational and community events working in collaboration with key partners
Executive support & external relations:
• Partner with the Director to build relationships and facilitate meetings with key external partners.
• Serve as proxy and advisor for Director to facilitate effective decision-making
• Conduct short-term research projects, as assigned; read, analyze, and synthesize information from multiple sources and over periods of time
• In coordination with LOO team members, support correspondence and cultivation efforts with prospective philanthropic partners
• Collaborate with Operations Associate to facilitate expense tracking and reimbursement and to coordinate and arrange out-of-state travel for the Director
• Uphold a strict level of confidentiality
• Exude professionalism in all internal and external interactions and communications
• Bachelors required, Master’s Degree in Management, Public Policy or Public Administration preferred
• At least 5 years or higher of relevant work experience in the following areas ideally in a senior management role
• At least 2-3 years of operations, project management and analysis
• At least 2-3 years of experience in a socially responsible organization
• Skilled project and team management in dynamic environments using excellent judgement and creative problem-solving skills
• Ability to work independently, work well under pressure, and adhere to deadlines while balancing multiple projects
• Strong written and oral communications with emphasis on PowerPoint to a variety of audiences
• Ability to navigate nuanced relationships with important, diverse stakeholders
• Spanish speaking preferred.
• General ability to perform the essential functions and overall physical and mental requirements of this position, including stamina to perform tasks over extended periods and ability to occasionally move about to accomplish tasks or move from one worksite and/or workstation to another
This position is in Charlotte, NC. While we are temporarily working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic, the position will require in-person presence in Charlotte. To apply, please submit an application form online along with your cover letter, resume and brief work sample. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for the position. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.