Grab your golf visor, the PGA Tour’s Wells Fargo Championship tees off on Thursday morning at Quail Hollow Club.
Why it matters: The world’s top golfers are playing in our backyard, including Charlotte’s own Webb Simpson.
- Plus, it’s a reminder of the cool things we missed in the last pandemic year. The tournament was canceled last year.
Need to know:
- Tickets are available and start at $75 per day. Note that children 15 and under are free when accompanied by an adult ticket holder (very cool for parents).
- The forecast calls for mostly sunny, mid-70 degree weather.
Unfortunately, nobody invited me to play in Wednesday’s pro-am (will work on convincing my new boss Axios CEO Jim VandeHei to sponsor next year’s tournament) — but the good news is that I’ve teed it up at Quail (shot a respectable 85) and just walked the course yesterday.
Here’s a quick patron guide to the tournament.
(1) It’s an awesome field this year — 10 of the top 15 golfers in the world are teeing it up at Quail Hollow.
The top-ranked players in the 156-player field are No. 2 Justin Thomas, No. 3 Jon Rahm, No. 4 Xander Schauffele, No. 5 Bryson DeChambeau, No. 7 Patrick Reed, No. 9 Webb Simpson, No. 11 Viktor Hovland, No. 12 Patrick Cantlay, No. 13 Tony Finau and No. 15 Rory McIlroy.
Other fan favorites that’ll be playing include Phil Mickelson, Rickie Fowler, Jason Day and Bubba Watson.
- Webb Simpson lives out at Quail Hollow, along with CEO titans like Ric Elias of Red Ventures and Doug Lebda of LendingTree. Shout out to Doug Lebda for being the highest paid public CEO in Charlotte last year, earning $52 million. Drinks on Doug!
- Bubba Watson once starred in a Bojangles’ commercial created by local ad agency Boone Oakley in which he nailed into a biscuit with his driver. He went on to win The Masters that year.
- Uptown resident and 24-year-old golfer Will Gordon will also be teeing up this week after earning full status on the PGA Tour last year.
(2) If you want to go directly to the course, take an Uber or bike.
Uber: Since there is no public parking at Quail Hollow Club, I recommend taking an Uber. They have a pick-up/drop-off area that’s right at the main gate.
Light Rail: They’ll have shuttles running from the Sharon Road West light rail station.
Biking: There’s a bicycle rack in the gravel parking lot across from the main entrance.
Driving: If you’re driving, you’ll need to find a spot at one of the satellite lots (Carowinds and Ballantyne Corporate Park) and then take a shuttle to the course (full transportation breakdown).
(3) Birdie Watch: The two most exciting holes to watch are #7, a reachable par 5 with water along the right, and #14, a drivable par 4 with water along the left.
If you’re looking to watch challenging holes, you can’t beat the tough 16th, 17th and 18th holes — known as “The Green Mile.”
Cell phones: Yes, you can bring your phone (on silent), capture videos and post to Instagram in an effort to give your friends FOMO that they’re not out at Quail watching Bryson DeChambeau smash it.
Mask up: Yes, you’ll need to wear a mask and no autographs this year (full health and safety guidelines).
(4) Beer prices: $9 Wicked Weed IPA, $10 Stella and $5 12oz Michelob Ultras.
White Claws will set you back $10. (Personal note: I’ve become a big White Claw guy on the golf course, and I’m unsure what this says about me.)
William Hill Estate wine is also available at $10 a glass. Go with their Sunseeker Rosè or La Marca Prosecco.
(5) Skip the normal food concessions and go with a dog from JJ’s Red Hots
You’ll find concession near the driving range, 9th green and QC Village (between 17th green and hole 13). There’s also a bunch of bar stands in additional locations throughout the course. Note that everything is cashless.
JJ’s Red Hots is located in the QC Village (aka the party area). Other food options include Chick-fil-A sandwiches ($9), cheeseburgers ($9), and roasted turkey wraps ($11).
New: This year, Quail Hollow will offer a few “value items” including a $5 Quail Hollow Chicken Salad Sandwich.
Official cocktail: The signature tournament beverage is the “Quail Hollow Cooler” featuring Tito’s vodka, white grape juice, and Sprite ($10). All mixed drinks at $10.
(6) Go with the Imperial Hats in the merch tent
You’ll find the merchandise tent near the entrance/exit. Hats are $28 and golf shirts are around $95 depending on the brand.
Bonus: No, you’re not allowed to take a dip in the Quail Hollow Club pool after a long day on the golf course and several White Claws.
Uber to Selwyn Pub instead.