Associate Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and Human Resources
Heart Math Tutoring (HMT) is a Charlotte, North Carolina-based nonprofit that recruits and manages volunteer tutors to spend one hour per week helping elementary students develop the strong foundation in math and enthusiasm for academics needed for long-term success.
Having ambitious plans for growing our staff headcount to achieve greater student impact and knowing the importance of DEI and racial equity to the organization’s mission, we are excited to expand our existing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion leadership efforts and add new functional leadership of Human Resources, creating the Associate Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) and Human Resources (HR) position. This is a full-time position initially reporting to the Executive Director and is a member of the executive Leadership Team.
This position accelerates the organization’s collective progress on key HR and DEI objectives that are shared across departments. As of 4/2021, those objectives include that HMT has a sustainable, meaningful, healthy culture (measured by annual surveys); that HMT has full and effective staffing for all positions needed to fulfill our mission (on time hiring, effective training and onboarding, staff meeting expectations on performance reviews, employee retention rates); expand the number of employees who identify as BIPOC at every level (Coordinator, Manager, Director); expand the number of volunteers who identify as BIPOC; and that students experience culturally responsive support in HMT’s program.
Note that diversity, equity, and inclusion is the responsibility of the entire staff, and efforts are spearheaded by Heart’s executive Leadership Team and Heart’s Racial Equity Change team. This position bolsters and accelerates those efforts.
• Build out the formalized human resources functional area at HMT to meet the needs of the organization and staff, supporting a positive culture that attracts and grows great people for maximum learning and impact. This includes developing/overseeing HR practices, employee resources, staff appreciation, talent strategy, and more.
• Supervise the part-time Office Coordinator, who ensures employees have supplies and technology needed and who administers many HR tasks (payroll, onboarding/offboarding checklists, data, etc.)
• Play a key leadership role in supporting and accelerating the organization’s progress on its collective Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion goals. Lead DEI Training for staff; coordinate the Racial Equity Change Team, a cross-departmental group currently meeting monthly; lead the Tutor DEI Network to support tutors’ ability to provide culturally responsive support to students; and support and advise on all areas of DEI efforts, collaborating with team members in other departments.
• As a member of the Leadership Team, contribute to regular strategic conversations and solutions on cross-functional issues. Contribute to organization-wide planning (strategic, annual, quarterly) and leadership.
• Represent HMT externally to recruit staff, tutors, and partnerships and spread awareness of HMT (estimated 25-35% of time). Participate in HMT events and/or represent HMT at community events as needed.
The success of this position would be based on annual and quarterly targets recommended by the Associate Director of DEI & HR with agreement from the Executive Director. Initial targets would include surveys to confirm staff members have the have the centralized resources and support needed to be successful; successfully sourcing staff candidates for open positions, tutors, and partnerships; sourcing high-quality professional development on DEI and/or racial equity for staff 1x+/semester; and an active racial equity change team and DEI Tutor Network.
• You are passionate about Heart Math Tutoring’s mission, believing that all children have the potential to achieve at their grade level in math and that math proficiency unlocks confidence and opportunity in children’s lives.
• You offer 4+ years professional experience in HR, DEI, teaching/training, volunteer management, and/or student and family support. Demonstrated interest and experience in DEI leadership required.
• You are relationship-oriented, with experience building trust and relationships across lines of diversity.
• Proactive Leadership – You identify and meet needs, and you influence others to produce desired outcomes.
• Facilitation, Teaching, and Teambuilding Skills – You can engage others successfully when facilitating group discussion and trainings. You are a “culture carrier” who engages and motivates others.
• Learning Disposition – You are curious and embrace new ideas in pursuit of innovation and ongoing improvement. You research and implement best practices, and you regularly learn, reflect, and grow.
• You operate with integrity and sound judgement, balancing tradeoffs and needs of different constituents to maximize HMT’s effectiveness for students, including discretion and maturity with confidential information.
• You are accountable and self-directed. You have a track record of success in past roles. You can anticipate tasks, make decisions, organize, prioritize, and multi-task while handling significant responsibility.
• You differentiate your style to support direct reports. You identify and address management needs early and directly. You develop others.
• You are attentive to details and successful using the necessary technical systems for your role, which include but are not limited to email, contact management, file sharing systems, survey tools, vendor portals, and Microsoft Office products.
• You demonstrate Heart Math Tutoring’s core values – student centered, gratitude, growth mindset, precision and professionalism, and civic engagement.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to building an inclusive work environment. We offer competitive benefits and salary. Benefits include healthcare, dental, and vision coverage; retirement matching; paid time off; parental leave; professional development budget; short-term disability insurance, and more.