Business Office Representative
This position is responsible for answering incoming patient calls to the Business Office to review/resolve any patient concerns regarding billing.
• Answer incoming calls to the Business Office with urgency and professionalism
• Assisting patients questions they may have on their balances, or transfer to correct location/take message
• Research accounts thoroughly regarding patient concerns communicating thru various channels (in basket messaging, via Epic, or email) for response/resolution regarding issue.
• Manage accounts receivable, accepting and processing payments from patients
• Keep accurate, detailed records of customer interactions and transactions recording details of inquiries, complaints and comments as well as actions taken
• Assigned work queues to resolve issues with account (Duplicate charges, merging accounts, credits, returned mail and bankruptcy)
• Ability to meet the physical and mental demands of the position
• The ability to work on-site
• Predictable, reliable, and prompt attendance
• Ability to interpret an Explanation of Benefits
• Ability to communicate professionally (written and verbal)
• High School Diploma is required
• 2—4 years of healthcare experience is required
• Experience with Epic EMR preferred
• Multi-tasking & Adaptability
• Attention to detail
• Stress tolerance
• Decision making
Representative will shadow a current employee for a week. After completion of shadowing, they will work independently within an address return work que that provides the representative with knowledge of where to locate pertinent information needed when a patient calls. The representative will work this que (asking questions when needed) for several days. After this time the representative will be accepting patient calls with the employee that she/he shadowed to refer questions to for a week
Our mission is to be the premier eye, ear, nose, and throat group providing comprehensive, quality, and ethical healthcare to all in the Carolinas; to provide a favorable environment for the delivery of healthcare; and to provide for the wellbeing of the physicians and the employees of Charlotte Eye Ear Nose & Throat Associates, P.A.
This position is a front-line contact for patient’s contacting the Business Office, ensuring the patients are addressed in a courteous and helpful manner.
The work environment characteristics described are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position entails answering a high volume of calls, which involves sitting for extended periods of time. The representative will be using a computer, along with printing, faxing and e-mailing to patients and coworkers.
The Patient Services Representative reports to the Business Office Coordinator. This position has no supervising responsibilities.
Position type and hours:
This is a full-time, nonexempt position. The schedule for the position is Monday – Friday, 8am – 5pm.
Physical and mental requirements
The physical and mental demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This is a largely sedentary role in which the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, or hear.
• The ability to make quick decisons
• The ability to use discretion and sensitivity when speaking to patients
• The ability to interpret data
• The ability to work under pressure and thrive in a fast-paced environment
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. In addition to those essential functions identified above, individuals in this position are also responsible for performing other duties or tasks that may be assigned. CEENTA retains the discretion to add or change the essential job functions of this position at any time without notice.
A typical day in the position:
The Business Office Representative is responsible for answering incoming calls to the Business Office. This involves assisting patients with questions they have regarding their balances, entering insurance information, and researching accounts with account documentation. The position also answers calls from other CEENTA locations regarding insurance entry and patient questions. Business Office Representatives review emails and faxes received from internal and external sources with appropriate resolution and account documentation.