Payroll Staff Accountant
The Payroll / Staff Accountant is responsible for both payroll and staff accounting functions within the organization. Payroll responsibilities include managing payroll processes and the recording of all payroll entries into the general ledger and reconciliation of benefits. Staff Accountant responsibilities include activities such as managing the month-end and quarter-end close, account reconciliations and assist with audit preparation, ensuring that all entries to the general ledger are properly recorded and reconciled.
• Maintains a high level of confidentiality and discretion.
• Compile all payroll data for processing by the payroll provider (Paycom) including hours worked, taxes, insurance, and other records to process.
• Review wages computed and corrected errors to ensure accuracy of payroll, in collaboration with Human Resource department as well as prepare documentation for payments of employee payroll deductions and contributions.
• Verifies accuracy of tax liabilities and other deductions for biweekly pay period.
• Ensures that pretax deductions balance with taxable gross and correct payments are remitted to the administrators.
• Prepare and record payroll journal entries into the general ledger including department allocations and ensure payroll disbursements are properly recorded in both the payroll system and the general ledger.
• Balances payroll data to general ledger
• Prepare periodic payroll reports of earnings, taxes, and deductions, as required.
• Ensure that all time requirements are met and that the hours are approved by both the employee and the supervisor.
• Process fiscal year-end reports and reconciles W-2 information for accuracy and communicates errors in payroll accounting to management.
• Responsible for leading company’s payroll services implementation through Paycom. Supports management and with customization, troubleshooting and reporting. Oversees strategies to integrate available services to optimize better control of labor.
• Resolves technical issues through Paycom.
• Responsible for racking and approval of time sheets for accounting staff.
• Planning, organization, and coordination of outsourced functions.
• Manages month-end and quarter end closing to include journal entries (prepaid), expense allocation and that revenue is processed.
• Oversees management of monthly account reconciliations and journal entries.
• Record monthly copier, postage and mileage allocations.
• Prepare weekly ACH/Wires and submit for approval and process online payments to vendors.
• Deposit checks and record miscellaneous cash receipts.
• Manage company credit card program to include determining limits, investigating fraud, etc.
• Assist with both internal and external audits.
• Other projects as assigned.
• The Payroll / Staff Accountant must be proficient in accounting, possess analytical and problem-solving skills to analyze information, research and resolve issues in a timely manner. Accuracy and attention to detail is a must.
• The individual must have the ability to handle confidential financial and payroll information in a professional manner.
• The individual must be highly motivated and a self-starter that works well independently, with others and in a group setting. He/she must be well organized, efficient, and flexible to complete work in a timely manner, meet deadlines and successfully manage the changing workload and competing demands.
• Oral and written communication skills are a must. The individual must be able to communicate in a clear and concise manner.
• The individual must be emotionally grounded and able to manage difficult or emotional situations, responds promptly to customer (both internal and external) needs for service and assistance.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and 3-5 years of related work experience in accounting and preferably payroll.
• Oral and written communication skills are a must. The individual must be able to communicate in a clear and concise manner both orally and in writing.
• Must have the ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
• Ability to calculate figures and amounts
• Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
• To perform this job successfully, the individual proficient in Microsoft Excel spreadsheet software; NetSuite Accounting software, Blackbaud Altru, Paycom payroll system. The individual should also have solid general computer skills.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms and talk or hear.
Employees of Discovery Place should uphold the mission, vision, and values of the organization. We bring science, nature, and design together to create transformative experiences that enable our community to understand, enjoy, and apply science to their lives. A future where people embrace science to create opportunities, build hope, solve problems, and bring positive change for our world. We value the diversity of opinions and intellectual thought and encourage an environment where employees can share ideas openly.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities of this job. Other duties may be assigned. This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.