Science and Nature Manager
Plans and manages museum operations and programs for guests and customers of Discovery Place Science and Discovery Place Nature by performing the following duties personally or through designated team members:
Manages the implementation of programs or guest experiences
• Serves in the rotation of museum leaders assigned to oversee the museum on weekends
• Provides leadership to all team members and departments interacting with guests in the museum
• Ensures all museum guests or customers have a positive experience through customer service excellence
• Works in collaboration with other managers to provide work schedules for departmental staff
• Follows defined processes and procedures and elevates undocumented situations for long term resolution.
• Collaborates with the Database Manager for items relating to the point-of-sale system
• Handles any emergencies and visitor concerns that may arise on-site
• Provides notes detailing attendance, challenges, and noteworthy items to other Weekend Managers on Duty
• Manages the implementation of all assigned educational programs, including facilitated museum experiences, camps, adult-oriented events…etc.
• Coordinates staff members to ensure that resources are deployed efficiently and effectively to achieve the intended outcome.
• Assists in evaluation and continuous improvement of museum operations and programming
• Oversees time management, including time sheets, for any direct reports
• Supports membership team members as they interact with guests around member engagements and membership inquiries.
Oversees cash handling operations
• Perform cash handling supervisory duties as outlined in company procedures
• Accurately performs admissions reporting and reports discrepancies to the Manager and Accounting Office
• Assists team members by working at the front desk as needed
• Adjust group itineraries and/or programs when challenges arise
Ensures proper training for team members
• In collaboration with other leaders, develops training regimen for new team members
• Provides feedback to team members on a regular basis concerning work performance and adherence to policies and procedures
• Requests or delivers additional training to continue staff development as needed.
• Assists with training staff members for new programs and professional development purposes
Helps with managing the departmental budgets
• Works with department budget manager to limit expenses
• With other Science and Nature leaders, works to ensure that revenue targets are met
• Helps with tracking purchases and logging expenses
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree from four-year College or University; or 3+ years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Develops alternative solutions.
• Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
• Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
• Delegation – Delegates work assignments; Matches the responsibility to the person; Gives authority to work independently; Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; Provides recognition for results.
• Leadership – Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Inspires respect and trust; Accepts feedback from others; Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates; Gives appropriate recognition to others; Displays passion and optimism; Mobilizes others to fulfill the vision.
• Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Accepts responsibility for own actions.
Directly supervises up to 30 employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 20 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and Ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to manipulate objects, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit.
Employees of Discovery Place should uphold the mission, vision, and values of the organization. We create positive change in our communities through our four core values: (1) science leads us, (2) equity drives us, (3) integrity guides us, and (4) innovation energizes us. We value the diversity of opinions and intellectual thought and encourage an environment where employees can share ideas openly.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities of this job. Other duties may be assigned. This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.