Director for Contemporary Worship and Community Building
Sardis Presbyterian Church (PCUSA), located in Charlotte, NC, has a new job opportunity for an individual as Director for Contemporary Worship and Community Building who is committed to a worship style that is creative, visionary, flexible, and diverse. The candidate will be charged with leading worship, attracting talent for the praise band, and bringing charisma, authenticity, and an inspiring personal relationship with Jesus Christ that shines through in all that they do.
It is important that this leader can help members see the connections between the Biblical message of Jesus and their own complicated lives. This applicant must be passionate about building strong relationships within our church community through small group ministry and providing a relational network for everyone who wants one.
Mission work is at the heart of Sardis and has been a strong priority of our church. With this new role, we will continue serving our world both domestically and internationally, but we would like to support our youth and adult efforts in addition to the integration of multi-generational mission trips to be a brighter light in our worldwide community. This person will engage congregants with an excitement to share God’s love through serving others.
Sardis Presbyterian Church, founded in 1790, has an established heritage in traditional worship and has developed and grown our contemporary worship service over the past two decades. We seek a Director for Contemporary Worship and Community Building, a brand-new position, focused on leading a vibrant contemporary service that will invigorate our members, and attract new members, especially young families.
This person will reach out to our local community and international partners and inspire our members to expand our mission work. The candidate will also lead and expand our existing small group ministries into a focal point for Sardis.
The Director of Contemporary Worship and Community Building will possess musical talent such as singing, keyboarding, guitar, directing, producing, and arranging. The ideal candidate will develop and lead the contemporary worship music ministry, in consultation with the senior pastor and other team members, in a way that supports the mission, values and theology of the church community. They will:
● shepherd volunteer musicians
● maintain a strong prayer base for the church
● communicate openly with the senior pastor and staff
● participate in the life and ministry of the church
● direct outreach events for the community
● oversee implementation of new community outreach
● inspire leadership for small groups
● recruit, equip, and motivate small group leaders
● organize, implement, and promote fulfilling mission trips
● praise God our Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer through contemporary and traditional worship experiences, small groups, and fellowship opportunities for children and adults.
● learn about God’s will for our lives through traditional Sunday school classes, Bible study offerings by the pastors and small group Bible study.
● love one another unconditionally through volunteer opportunities within Sardis such as Soup for the Soul, Stephen Ministry, pastoral care, and birthday/graduation parades during COVID.
● serve neighbors near and far through youth and adult domestic and international mission trips (Haiti, Puerto Rico), Habitat for Humanity, Room In The Inn, Rama Road Elementary School partnership and tutoring, food/clothing drives just to name a few.
● share the gifts with which we have been blessed through annual tithes, special offerings, supporting mission team and youth fellowship activities, etc.
● witness to the Good News of Jesus Christ to provide hope for the world through online and in-person worship services.
As a Director, the candidate would lead the contemporary service musically in addition to small group and mission leadership.
Needed spiritual gifts:
This person will have spiritual gifts in the areas of shepherding, community building, encouragement, faith, and humility. The candidate will be gifted in people management, listening, motivating, and working as a team player. They will also possess the ability to organize, coordinate, and motivate members to join small groups and serve through domestic and international missions. An individual’s musical talent and experience is strongly preferred along with experience in worship planning and may have additional music skills which include keyboarding, guitar, directing, producing, and arranging.
Bachelor’s Degree in a related field.
This position would require a Statement of Faith and understanding of current Presbyterian doctrines. Important characteristics for a Director of Contemporary Worship and Community Building include:
● Authentic relationship with Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior
● Love and respect for ALL people
● Ability to communicate a heartfelt message for hearing God’s word
● Proven public communicator with people of all ages
● Resiliency with a sense of humor and positive attitude
● Collaboration with staff and congregation
● Experience in equipping small group leaders
● Experience in planning, organizing, and leading mission teams
Sardis Presbyterian Church has charged a group of church members to evaluate both ordained (PC(USA)) and non-ordained individuals for this new position. All communication should be completed via our search committee’s email address, firstname.lastname@example.org. Church staff will be unable to answer specific questions about the search process.