Director of Institutional Giving
The Director of Institutional Giving is a senior member of the Advancement team at Discovery Place and is responsible for developing and implementing the institutional giving fundraising strategy for the organization. Leading a 3-person team, they are responsible for setting strategies, generating compelling cases that communicate the importance of Discovery Places’ mission, and achieving annual and long-range institutional fundraising goals for the institution, raising more than $3M annually.
The Director of Institutional Giving will serve as the lead relationship manager for Foundation, Government, and Corporate donors. This position is charged with securing corporate sponsorships that support both core operating activities and special initiatives, as well as growing our Corporate Membership program by acquiring new donors and increasing support from existing donors. The Institutional Giving team will be charged with continuously conducting research and pursuing new opportunities for corporate, government, and foundation support while building authentic relationships with current donors. The Director of Institutional Giving will also direct the work of a grants coordinator to build a robust foundation portfolio and shepherd the organization through the proposal process.
• As a frontline fundraiser, develop relationships with new funding sources leading to solicitation to grow institutional philanthropy
• Identify, research, evaluate, cultivate and solicit corporations and foundations; Negotiate and execute gift agreements
• Collaborate with other departments on strategies to secure funding for institutional priorities
• Set annual revenue goals for the institutional giving team, measure progress and adjust work plans as needed to successfully meet the goals
• Develop strategies to engage and solicit institutional donors in support of each of our Museums – Discovery Place Science, Discovery Place Nature, Discovery Place KIDS-Huntersville, Discovery Place KIDS-Rockingham, and the Education Studio – as well as the corporation at-large.
• Manage production of corporate donor communications including membership and sponsorship acquisition materials, corporate donor reports, and provide direction on tailored gift acknowledgements
• Supervise the Grants Coordinator whose primary focus is to secure foundation and government grants for the institution, ensure implementation is in accordance with gift agreement, and provide timely reporting to funders
• Supervise a Development Associate who supports all aspects of institutional partnerships and general department needs
• Serve as the primary advancement team liaison with the Arts & Science Council including grants and partnership opportunities.
• Effectively manage internal writing needs through staff while setting the example as a hands-on expert in engaging and inspiring institutions to invest in DP’s mission. Oversee production of content for website relating to institutional giving ensuring information is compelling, accurate, and timely; Produce corporate and foundation donor spotlight stories for website, donor newsletters, and annual report
• Engage institutional contacts on a regular basis with invitations to DP mission-related activities
• Manage Board and volunteer involvement in corporate and foundation solicitations
• Lead and manage donor research efforts as it relates to institutional giving including the generation of donor profiles and bios for solicitations involving the CAO, CEO, and/or a volunteer
• Assist with campaign solicitations from institutional donors as appropriate
• Ensure proper recognition and stewardship of institutional donors
• Promote and assist with donor events at Discovery Place
• Participate in staff meetings and other vital administrative, promotional, and organization-related meetings and activities
• Represent Discovery Place at institutional, civic, and community events
• Maintain current and accurate contact and donation records in Altru
• Other duties as assigned by the Senior Director of Development and Chief Advancement Officer
• Bachelor’s degree.
• 8 years of experience in fundraising
• Masterful fundraising knowledge and abilities
• Ability to communicate DP’s mission and programs with enthusiasm, sincerity, persuasion, and passion
• Skilled proposal writer with a proven track record of success
• Excellent internal and external customer service skills
• Entrepreneurial spirit with high energy for working in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment
• Ability to work both as a team member and autonomously
• Comfort and ease in speaking with high-level donors
• Experience working with volunteers
• Ability to handle confidential information with discretion
• Strong interest in the mission of Discovery Place, Inc.
• Some nights and weekends will be required
• Energetic development professional with great relationship-building skills who can team with Marketing, Learning Experiences, and • Programs to deliver an unparalleled institutional donor experience at Discovery Place
• Knowledge of history and trends within the non-profit sector and the local and national philanthropic communities
• Comfort with public speaking
• Experience with utilizing a fundraising software program, such as Raiser’s Edge, Altru, Tessitura, to track giving and relationship management
• Ability to manage and prioritize numerous projects on an ongoing basis
• Ability to work well with a wide variety of people
This position will supervise the Grants Coordinator and Development Associate.
• Must be able to lift boxes up to 15 lbs.
• Must be able to drive to off-site meetings and DPI site locations
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities of this job. Other duties may be assigned. This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.