Senior Business Project Manager
Lowe’s Companies, Inc. (NYSE: LOW) is a FORTUNE® 50 home improvement company serving approximately 18 million customers a week in the United States and Canada. With fiscal year 2019 sales of $72.1 billion, Lowe’s and its related businesses operate or service more than 2,200 home improvement and hardware stores and employ approximately 300,000 associates. Based in Mooresville, N.C., Lowe’s supports its hometown Charlotte region and all communities it serves through programs focused on creating safe, affordable housing and helping to develop the next generation of skilled trade experts. For more information, visit Lowes.com.
As a FORTUNE® 50 home improvement company, Lowe’s is committed to creating safe, affordable housing and helping to develop the next generation of skilled trade experts through nonprofit partnerships. Across every community we serve, Lowe’s associates donate their time and expertise through the Lowe’s Heroes volunteer program. For the latest news, visit Newsroom.Lowes.com or follow @LowesMedia on Twitter.
The primary purpose of this role is to have single-threaded ownership of delivering Business projects that are medium to large in size, highly complex, and that typically involve multiple work streams/functional groups. This includes responsibility for managing projects end-to-end through the planning, development, execution, and implementation stages, while adhering to the ePMO framework. This role may also have people leadership responsibility for more junior level project management staff and contractors. Overall, this role contributes to an organizational function that plays an important role in moving the organization forward by providing large-scale improvements across the business.
• Delivers multiple Business projects/programs medium to large size that are highly complex from planning to minimum realization with full responsibility and accountability for the outcomes; includes organizing and tracking project details and communicating consistently with project stakeholders and personnel.
• Develops, analyzes, and manages all touch points of the project plan including responsibility for scheduling, global resource forecasting, managing project financials, and providing input and justification for costs and budget impact.
• Owns the overall performance (timeline, budget, and resource utilization) of large projects against plan and works through the project team to implement adjustments when issues/risks are identified and require resolution.
• Partners with IT/Business for requests for information (RFI) and requests for proposal (RFP) processes from third parties.
• Drives the work for complex and large project teams by recommending or requesting resources to support project demands, communicates a clear vision of project goals and objectives, and provides technical knowledge and input for deliverables worked on by the team.
• Holds project teams accountable for meeting or exceeding expectations by coordinating team activities and managing milestones and deliverables.
• Controls and mitigates project risks/issues by performing the qualitative and quantitative analysis of scenarios and trigger events, planning response, establishing contingency plans, anticipating dependencies affected by ongoing project changes, and recommending ways to mitigate future risks.
• Manages and ensures the alignment, buy-in, and support of diverse project stakeholders by building and maintaining relationships with internal customers, third party vendors, and senior/executive management.
• Responsible for tracking and reporting on key metrics (i.e., deliverables, measures of success, financials, duration, benefits) and communicating findings to program managers and senior/executive management. Facilitates necessary executive governance processes (i.e. SteerCos).
• Owns the project execution plan (i.e., work breakdown structures) and business objectives (e.g. process design/re-design, change management, deployment approach, management and end user readiness), partnering with IT and/or Functional teams to translate business plans into tactical action items.
• Participates in formal and informal training to continuously develop technical capabilities and project management skillset.
• Ensures approved business cases exist for executive sponsored programs. Manages risks, issues, decisions and scope changes.
• Applies deep functional knowledge (e.g. business objectives, operating model, cross-functional macro processes, etc.) in HR, IT, Finance, Stores, Pro, Supply Chain, Merchandising, and Digital to ensure the alignment, buy-in, and support of diverse project stakeholders such as internal customers, third party vendors, and senior/executive management.
• Partners with cross-functional Business leaders to identify and manage program interdependencies.
• Provides leadership to the team by attracting and hiring talented individuals, setting goals and communicating clear expectations, providing timely and constructive feedback as well as meaningful developmental opportunities, managing performance, providing resources and support as needed, and sponsoring and leading team members through change.
• Manages expenses for initiatives within scope of responsibility.
• Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Marketing, Human Resources, Operations, Finance, Computer Science, or related field (or equivalent work experience in a related field)
• 4+ years’ leadership experience with direct report responsibility, comfortable managing teams with 5+ people
• Expert in project life cycle methodologies (Waterfall, Agile, etc.)
• 4+ years’ experience with stakeholder, management, conflict resolution, executive level communication (written, verbal, etc.)
• 6+ years’ experience developing project Work Breakdown Structures (WBS) / User Stories used to create project schedules and estimate
• Experience managing operational, program, and/or project financial budgets
• Expert in leading project teams
• Understanding of Continuous Improvement and Change Management methodologies
• 4+ years’ corporate experience, retail a plus
• Project Management Institute (PMI) or other project/program management certification; Agile/Scrum/SAFe
• 6+ years’ experience in enterprise project planning and coordination and working on projects or programs requiring the integration of cross-functional solutions
• 4+ years’ experience using formal business process improvement methodologies
• 2+ years’ leadership experience with direct report responsibility
Lowe’s is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer and administers all personnel practices without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, veteran status, genetics or any other category protected under applicable law.