Mia Chang sees lots of Charlotteans drive up to her Concord bakery OMG Donuts, so she thought, why not come to them?
OMG Donuts will open its a second location off of Monroe Road in east Charlotte this summer.
The big picture: Chang wanted to be a part of the growing MoRa community of small business owners popping up in the Meridian Place development on Old Post Road — near the Idlewild Road intersection and East Meck High.
- The donut shop will have Edge City Brewing and Hawthorne’s Pizza as neighbors.
What to expect: OMG Donuts will combine its existing donut offerings with a full coffee bar serving Pure Intentions Coffee.
- Popular donuts include classic glazed, maple bacon and apple fritters.
- “There’s not a day-old donut ever,” Chang tells me. The yeast-raised donuts are all made by hand.
- From OMG’s custom filling station, guests can also choose a “fillable” donut and select whatever filling they’d like from strawberry to vanilla cream.
- OMG on Monroe Road will also add a hand-scooped ice cream station.
Related Axios guide: Top 11 donut spots in Charlotte, and what to order at each
Background: Chang opened OMG with her husband Alex Kim in August 2017. In four years, the shop has become a local favorite. Even though it’s in Concord, we at Axios Charlotte have often claimed it as Charlotte’s own in our best donut guide because the donuts are that good.
Timeline: By August, you won’t have to make the trek up north for OMG’s donuts. Chang is hoping for a late July or early August opening.
Location: 6209 Old Post Rd., Ste. 108.
Hours: OMG Donuts in MoRa will open at 6:30am on Tuesday through Sunday. It may stay open later in the summer to capture the Edge City Brewing crowd, but Chang wasn’t sure yet.
- And yes, that means that Chang arrives at the shop most days by 3am — sometimes even as early as midnight. “We take it seriously,” she says. “When the second shop opens, we’re Team No Sleep.”