Benefits and Leaves of Absence Administrator
This position is responsible for the administration of all health and welfare benefits and retirement programs, including medical, dental, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, HSA, FSA, 401(k), profit sharing, COBRA, and related plans as well as Leaves of Absence requests and accommodations requiring specialized attention, particularly those arising under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), state and local leave laws, in a fast-paced environment.
• An excellent work ethic with a minimum of 3-5 years’ experience successfully administering health and welfare benefits and leaves of absence using critical thinking and logic.
• Professional and effective written and verbal communication skills with proven competency in analytical problem solving, attention to detail, organizational skills, multi-tasking, and approaching challenging matters with enthusiasm and creativity in a proactive matter.
• Thorough knowledge of leave requirements and other legal protections afforded by the FMLA, ADA, and other applicable laws including an understanding of the interactive ADA process and effectively administering it.
• Exhibits a professional demeanor with all employees and vendors on all levels to include executive management and ability to maintain constructive working relationships.
• Understands and commands the expertise to develop effective workflows and processes resulting to benefits and leaves of absence and ensures accuracy of reports and HRIS data.
• Proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and ADP (preferred) or other HRIS benefits admin system.
• Responds expeditiously to benefit inquiries from employees on plan provisions, benefits enrollments, leave of absence inquiries, status changes, and other general inquiries.
• Ensures the accuracy and timeliness of all benefits enrollments and data transmission to vendors.
• Provides creative ways to update and educate employees on health and welfare programs and areas including the development of employee communications, website content, and ideas to improve employee knowledge and engagement.
• Develops, updates, and distributes all benefit and leave of absence materials and provides education in new hire orientation, open enrollment, and on an as-needed basis. Prepares schedules and materials for the annual open enrollment process and helps deliver open enrollment meetings. Leads the Wellness Committee.
• Maintains complete and accurate records of leave and accommodation requests in accordance with specified legal requirements and best practices documentation. Performs data integrity and compliance audits of benefits and leave of absence data as well as invoice reconciliation. Provides necessary benefits and leave of absence reports as needed.
• Manages 401(k)/Profit Sharing administrative actions.
• Maintains up-to-date knowledge of all applicable benefits and leaves of absence related laws including the FMLA, ADA, and state and local laws and ensures health and welfare benefits and leaves of absence legal compliance including recommended revisions to leave policies and documents to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
• Communicates with employees regarding their needs for leaves of absence. Ensures that employees are aware of their responsibilities and of any documentation and notice required to qualify for and to take leave. Maintains reasonable communication with employees on their needs for leaves of absence and facilitates a smooth and timely return to work. Relays communication between employees and their managers during leave within reason.
• Working with the Leaves of Absence vendor, oversees leaves of absence requests and disability payments. Oversees a timely and accurate leave of absence life cycle (from initial notice to return to work). Effectively interprets FMLA and ADA implications as they relate to leaves of absences/disabilities. Ensures leaves of absence are compliantly designated and administered, medical certifications are requested and monitored, and the interactive process is initiated, if needed, and related.
• Preserves confidentiality of employee medical documentation and files.