Sustain Charlotte is a forward-thinking, dynamic, and highly impactful small nonprofit in Charlotte with a current team of eight employees and contractors. Through education, community engagement, and advocacy, we inspire choices that lead to a healthy, equitable, and vibrant community for generations to come. While we are a go-to source of local sustainability information and best practices through events such as our annual Charlotte Sustainability Awards, our focus is on advocating for smart growth and transportation choices. We make the Charlotte region better for all who live here. Advancing racial equity through our work is a top priority for us.
Sustain Charlotte is seeking a Development Associate who is detail-oriented, has exceptional organizational skills, and is passionate about appreciating our donors through timely and professional communications with them.
The Development Associate plays a critical role in our fundraising efforts. The main areas of responsibility include entering donor data into our donor CRM database, drafting and sending thank you emails and letters to our donors, assisting with donor cultivation and stewardship, and providing support for fundraising events.
Reporting to the Executive Director, this is a contract-to-hire position with an opportunity to become a salaried position with benefits after the contract period ends. The initial contract period will be three months and continued employment will be evaluated at that time.
• Maintains the integrity of our donor data for all of our donors
• Creates queries and reports for mailings or data analysis based on requests from the team
• Accurately completes daily gift entry following established department workflow
• Accurately prepares and distributes donor correspondence including acknowledgment letters per established department timeline
• Assists with the creation of sponsorship packets and contributes to grant reports
• Assists with routine and special appeal mailings
• Conducts prospect research and maintains a high degree of confidentiality concerning any information relating to donor records
• Builds lists of prospective corporate, individual, and foundation donors and track progress toward donor cycle goals
• Processes event registrations (including webinars), ticket sales, and RSVPs
• Processes purchases from our online store
• Acts as representative of Sustain Charlotte at meetings, events, via phone, and responds to email inquiries in a friendly, well-informed, and professional manner
• Assists with event coordination, supporting the pre-event, day-of-event, and post-event activities
• Perform other essential functions as assigned
• At least two years of CRM database management; preferably NeonCRM (our platform)
• Proficient in G Suite and Microsoft Excel
• Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree
• At least two years of experience in nonprofit development/fundraising
• Excellent attention to detail and solid project management skills
• Able to prioritize tasks in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to handle private donor information with confidentiality
• Team player, self-starter, interested in personal and professional growth
• Able to work occasional weeknight evenings and weekends
We offer a comfortable work environment in a small office in Charlotte’s vibrant South End neighborhood. Staff currently work remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic; however, you will be expected to work from our office when conditions allow for in-person work. When commuting to the office we encourage our employees to commute by walking, bicycling, or riding public transit instead of driving alone and we offer financial incentives for doing so.
Hours and pay:
Our office hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Hours will vary between 20-30 hours/week, with a possibility of 40 hours/week during events. This is an hourly position during the contract period and the hourly rate will be commensurate with experience. Paid time off and paid sick time are also provided.
Qualified applicants should email cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org. The email subject line should say: Development Associate – [YOUR LAST NAME]. In your submission email, please let us know specifically where you heard about our job opportunity (e.g., Sustain Charlotte email, personal referral, a specific job website name, etc.). Due to the volume of interested applicants, we ask that you not telephone our office about the position unless specifically invited to do so.