Seasonal Grounds Maintenance Worker
This is a Seasonal Temporary Position for April 2021 – September 2021
Performs routine unskilled and semi-skilled work in the maintenance, landscape and care of Town grounds, rights-of-way, and related Town property.
An employee in this class performs a variety of routine unskilled and semi-skilled grounds maintenance tasks requiring the use of hand tools and light to medium equipment operation. Work involves operating equipment to cut grass, edge, mulch, fertilize, prune and trim trees, weed, weed-eat, remove leaves and snow, maintain flower beds, pots and hanging baskets, and other similar tasks in grounds and landscape maintenance. Employee must be conscious of safety methods to avoid injury to others and self. Employee is subject to hazards in grounds maintenance work including working in both inside and outside environments, in extreme hot and cold weather, and exposure to various hazards such as noise, moving mechanical parts, chemicals, dusts, atmospheric conditions, and oils. Duties may expose the employee to human body fluids and thus the work is subject to the OSHA requirements on blood borne pathogens. Work is performed under regular supervision and reviewed while in progress and upon completion to determine that proper work methods are being followed and that assignments are carried out correctly.
• Works as a member of a grounds maintenance crew responsible for maintaining assigned Town grounds by cutting grass, trimming and edging, mulching, weeding and other landscape and grounds maintenance activities.
• Operates a variety of hand tools and power equipment including, but not limited to, riding and push mowers, hedge trimmers, loppers, weed eaters, blowers, chain saws, pole saws, shovels, rakes, stump grinders, and other light equipment for landscaping and tree maintenance activities.
• Performs all aspects of tree and shrub maintenance including hedge and tree trimming; tree removal; pruning; removing fallen limbs and trash; and raking leaves.
• Plants shrubbery, flowers, and grass; waters, weeds, fertilizes, applies pesticides and herbicides, and mulches plants.
• Performs leaf removal and leaf blowing on Town grounds.
• Shovels and removes snow and ice; spreads sand over icy sidewalks and walkways.
• Picks up trash in common areas, greenways, parking lots and rights-of-way; cleans culverts and other drainage structures; blows and sweeps sidewalks, gutters and streets.
• Loads and unloads mulch, dirt, stone, timber and heavy mechanical equipment.
• Operates trucks and small motorized equipment safely and efficiently.
• Performs equipment inspection to ensure proper operation; ensures cleanliness and proper storage of tools and equipment after use.
• Assists other department employees in performing a variety of custodial, construction and maintenance work.
• Considerable knowledge of the operation of hand and power landscaping equipment.
• General knowledge of the tools, equipment, and materials used in grounds maintenance.
• General knowledge of landscape maintenance procedures.
• Working knowledge of the hazards of the work and related safety precautions.
• Skill in operation of assigned equipment.
• Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
• Ability to use hand tools.
• Ability to operate light to medium machinery and equipment.
• Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other employees.
• Ability to operate light and medium machinery and equipment and perform simple maintenance and repairs.
• Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public.
• Graduation from high school and experience in grounds maintenance work; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Possession of a valid North Carolina driver’s license.
• Must be able to physically perform the basic life operational functions of climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and performing repetitive motions.
• Must be able to perform heavy work exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally; and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently; and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
• Must possess the visual acuity to operate trucks and other mechanical equipment such as the mowers and chain saws in a safe manner and to inspect work quality.
Special Note: This generic class description gives an overview of the job class, its essential job functions, and recommended job requirements. However, for each individual position assigned to this class, there is available a complete job questionnaire with a physical abilities checklist which can give further details about that one specific position. Those documents should be reviewed before initiating a selection process. They can provide additional detailed information on which to base various personnel actions and can assist management in making legal and defensible personnel decisions.