Director of Contemporary Music and Worship Arts
Coordinate, plan, and lead contemporary worship music for the contemporary services and provide leadership for the worship arts ministry.
• Participate in worship planning team
• Consult weekly with “preaching” pastor for selection of music and possible creative presentations in worship
• Plan and arrange music for contemporary services that encourages engagement/participation, reflection, and worship consistent with service objectives
• Assist with planning and coordination of the process for continued development of Contemporary Services, including competent leadership capacity during absence.
• Assist lay leadership in the development of and oversee the management of the annual operating budget for the contemporary music program.
• Oversee the Contemporary Worship Fund in conjunction with lay leadership.
• Maintain knowledge of current trends in sacred and secular contemporary music and worship arts and advise worship leaders regarding liturgy and music.
Provide bulletin and visual proofing
• Coordinate and lead the Sunday Contemporary Services and the weekly ensemble rehearsals (vocal, band, worship arts)
• Provide oversight and coordination of set-up and presentations for the Contemporary Service ensembles
• Recruit, evaluate, develop, help train and identify gifts of lay participants and potential leaders to grow the core group of leaders for the contemporary worship and arts ministries.
• Remain current with musical trends broadly and in Christian faith development and expression, worship practices and visual presentation, sharing these developments with others to nurture their development
• Create practice tools for the ensembles.
• Recruit, develop, and train youth to participate in worship.
• Recruit, develop and help train sound and visual technicians.
• Participate in other Church activities, programs and services to support Covenant’s mission and promote overall congregational unity
• Work directly with the Worship Ministry leadership team regarding logistics about the services.
• Seek opportunities to integrate contemporary and traditional styles into combined worship experiences, such as Commitment Sunday/Covenant Impacts Charlotte.
• Work collaboratively with all staff to promote positive work relationships.
• Develop relationships with youth and identify those with gifts to be used in Contemporary Worship
• Perform additional/other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Senior Associate Minister for Education and Contemporary Worship or the Senior Minister.
• Proven ability to perform each essential duty satisfactorily, including being able to comfortably give expression to a Christian faith journey. The requirements represent the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and/or experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Music preferred with a minimum of three to five years’ experience leading contemporary worship music. Knowledge of notation, music theory, and standard harmony, as well as mastery of at least one musical instrument and demonstrated leadership of a music ensemble required. Proven ability to coach modern instrumentalists and vocalists. Proven ability to multi-task and problem solve. An understanding of the role of music, dramatic/creative presentations, and dance in the Reformed Presbyterian tradition of worship will be a plus.
Collaborative and teaming skills
• Demonstrated success working in collaboration with staff and/or church members to build sustainable relationships and work efficiently and effectively for the right end-result, particularly in rehearsal and worship planning and execution. Proven ability to engage with others, establish trust and credibility, inspire confidence and work toward conflict resolution when needed. Desire and ability to motivate, inspire and engage individuals with varying knowledge, experience levels and personality types toward a common goal.
• Ability to articulate Christian beliefs and must possess a personal calling to lead worship. Strong reading comprehension, written and oral communication skills with the ability to speak effectively to the congregation and other groups.
Ability to learn and use worship presentation software (such as ProPresenter) proficiently to edit worship visual presentations. Proficiency with running live sound will be an advantage. Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Power Point and other basic software.
Certificates, licenses, registration, required training
• Youth Protection Training (Provided by CPC)