Scenario Desk Underwriter
Wyndham Capital Mortgage (WCM), founded in 2001, is a Fintech Mortgage Lender headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina. Our cultural belief is to empower our team members to enrich their lives and careers while working with modern technology, robotics, and automation to eliminate repetitive work and leverage our employee’s human potential and highest-value work. At Wyndham Capital, we intend to facilitate a greater sense of purpose in our jobs and lives. Your involvement will translate directly to continuous improvement in our systems, processes, and customer experience. We believe your experience at WCM will catapult your career growth and nurture your life’s journey.
Scenario Desk acts as an added point of contact to loan Officers, Sales Managers, Pre-processors, processors, CET team, and other Operations in need of underwriting assistance in cases where they have never came across the situation, unsure on the ability to use certain income, if credit issues will pose a risk or met seasoning requirements, etc. . The goal of Scenarios is to resolve complicated matters prior to submission, this not only saves Operations time but also allows us to continue to offer +1 service on the more difficult files. The decision made will continue through the loan file, unless there has been a material change.
• Respond to underwriting scenario questions within the SLA by researching the guidelines (internal and external) for the loan program.
• Maintain current knowledge of all applicable regulatory, agency, investor, internal overlays and Wyndham’s policy and procedures.
• Exercise strategic thinking – see beyond specific question submitted, anticipate any impacts the scenario may have on other areas of the loan; look for alternative ways to make the loan work, i.e. retired borrower just shy on income to qualify, can retirement account be used for the repayment of debt?
• Review various components of a loan file as part of the scenario process: such as a credit report, income documentation or an appraisal for acceptability.
• Interpret automated underwriting decision findings (both DU and LP) and relay the requirements to the Loan Officer in simplified terms so they are able to explain to a borrower that may not have any mortgage knowledge.
• Use knowledge, guidelines and resources to determine borrower eligibility for anything from Residency (US citizen, permanent vs non-permanent); Non borrowing spouses; Non occupying Co-borrowers; Income (using future income, OT received less than 2 years, etc.); Credit, etc.
• Be able to understand issues analytically, identify the root cause and create a solution that will be beneficial to the borrower, while still meeting all guidelines.
• Assist with projects identified by management
• 3+ years of mortgage experience working with multiple agency and investor guidelines with at least 2 of those years as a processor. Underwriting experience preferred.
• Have a thorough understanding of Fannie, Freddie, USDA, FHA and VA loan programs (does not require DE or SAR designation)
• Must be a team player with the ability to work with all levels of management, have interpersonal skills to communicate findings articulately in a timely, efficient, and courteous manner via the phone and email.
• Must be able to work independently (manage priority, workflow, escalate issues when needed), meet or exceed established SLA’s in a fast-paced, goal-oriented environment.
• Applicant should have a solution based approach to loan issues.
• Solid knowledge and understanding of the end to end real estate lending process, including but not limited to mortgage loan processing, closing functions, compliance, investor products and underwriting guidelines
• Strives to provide +1 Service to ensure success, to both internal teams and external clients
• Has the upmost integrity, period.
• Is naturally curious – you enjoy seeking out and applying new things in your job
• Knows how to make smart, informed decisions
• Has passion for your job and positive energy that is infectious!
• Cares about your work and performance, and you want to provide impact across the organization
• At times, can be innovative and not afraid to bring big thinking and ideas to the table
• Is able to deliver influential communication to others
• Group health coverage (medical, dental, & vision)
• Paid Time Off
• Employee Assistance Programs
• Pre-tax health spending account (HSA)
• 401(k) plan (with company match)
• Company provided life insurance
• Pet Insurance
• 8 hours of Volunteer Time Off
• Employee discounts (fitness, phone)
• Wellness events