VP of Family Services
Habitat Charlotte Region (HCR) is seeking a strategic leader to join the senior staff as the VP, Family Services. In this role, the VP, Family Services is responsible for being the voice and advocate of our partner families in all that we do to remove barriers to homeownership for area residents. Overseeing a team of ~20 and a mortgage portfolio of $50 million, this position ensures that programming is designed to maximize impact, that operations are structured to support growth and that processes are executed in compliance with Fair Lending and other regulatory guidelines. HCR will partner with over 250 families this year on new homebuyer opportunities, critical home repairs for seniors and expanding financial literacy offerings. Additionally, HCR will celebrate its work with our 3,000th family since our founding in 1983 making us one of the most productive affiliates in the national network.
Basic Functions: VP, Family Services is responsible for development and oversight of strategies and processes to grow Family Services and Programs for those seeking homeownership opportunities and critical home repairs as well as other support services. Lead and develop 20+ staff, including AmeriCorps members, responsible for family selection and support, mortgage underwriting and servicing, financial education, home sales, Neighborhood Revitalization and community partnerships. Ongoing support of the over 3,000 families served in the community and the 1,150 mortgages in the mortgage portfolio is key to our mission and core values. The VP, Family Services is active in the community; increasing program awareness, collaboration with other housing and service providers and neighborhood relationships. Work in partnership with President & CEO, Senior Staff and Board of Directors to ensure compliance and efficiency of operations.
• Develop, implement and review Family Services policies to ensure compliance and risk reduction with federal, state and local regulations related to mortgage lending, Fair Housing, mortgage origination (Qualified Loan Origination / QLO) and mortgage servicing
• Provide strategic direction and management of the Family Services Department including new programming, process efficiencies, departmental structure and budgeting to enable the organization to increasingly partner and serve more families
• Design and oversee recruitment strategies to engage potential homebuyers and home repair partners to ensure a qualified pipeline of families across the entire geographic service area
• Benchmark, research and implement long-term affordability strategies that are relevant for our changing community, sensitive to land prices, cost of construction and family affordability
• Pursue, foster and maintain positive and long-term relationships with neighborhood leaders, key stakeholders, and housing and service providers throughout the service area
• Ensure quality educational offerings to support homeownership readiness through financial literacy and to support aging in place initiatives with Critical Home Repair partner families
• Provide oversight and support to the Family Services, NR Oversight and Homeowner Selection Committees
• Oversee mortgage servicing and collection activities to limit mortgage delinquencies and prevent foreclosures
• Establish impact measurement processes and analysis to measure impact of programs and services (including but not limited to homeowner surveys, neighborhood listening sessions, data research with UNC Charlotte, etc.)
• Manage homeowner association relationships to ensure homeowner success and risk mitigation
• Actively participate as a member of Senior Staff and as a resource to the Board of Directors regarding Family Services activities and programs
• Habitat Charlotte check-signer and other tasks as requested by supervisor
• Minimum four-year college degree required
• Five years management experience required, nonprofit/social services experience preferred with proven experience developing teams and individuals to maximize performance and career development
• Lending experience desired, mortgage and homebuyer experience preferred
• Demonstrated history of strategic thinking, problem-solving and leadership skills along with a commitment to data driven decision making
• Ability and desire to communicate and work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds
• Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, comfort presenting to groups
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office products, experience with a loan origination platform a plus
• Consistent and reliable attendance
• Willingly adhere to Habitat’s Code of Conduct policies and other policies
• Adhere to schedules and deadlines
Ability work in office environment as needed which requires ability to speak, hear, with the visual and manual dexterity to manage papers, reports, and typing. Must embody the capacity to maintain the following for up to eight hours per day: use of personal computer or similar technology, phone, sitting as required. Must have the ability to drive an automobile and current driver’s license. Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. as needed.
Habitat Charlotte Region offers a great affordable benefits package; Health, Vision, Short & Long-Term Disability, Dental, Life and a Retirement Plan as well as a competitive wage, PTO and holiday pay.
Entire Habitat staff
Applicants, homeowners, volunteers, social support providers, Charlotte community and Board Members
Level of authority:
Authorized to provide any family services related information to other sources for the purpose of conducting day-to-day business. May also grant authorities to other Family Services Staff.
Estimated Time Commitment:
At least 40 hours / week
Habitat for Humanity of the Charlotte Region is a drug-free workplace. A pre-employment drug screen and clean background check is required.