The New York pizza joint Emmy Squared is opening its first North Carolina location this summer in Plaza Midwood.
The restaurant will be in a renovated 4,800-square-foot space at 1508 Central Ave., which was formerly home to a vintage and consignment store. It’s on the same stretch as Soul Gastrolounge and KiKi.
Details: Emmy Squared, started in Brooklyn in 2016, is known for its square-shaped, crispy-bottomed Detroit-style pizza and its signature burgers, one of which was named ‘#1 Best Burger in Nashville’ by The Tennessean.
- Beyond Nashville and New York City, the popular brand also has locations Philadelphia, Washington D.C., and Louisville.
- An exact opening date for the Plaza Midwood restaurant wasn’t immediately available.
Context: Asana Properties bought the building at 1508 and 1510 Central Ave. for $1.7 million in 2019, property records show. For months, the Charlotte developer has been remodeling the space.
- Another 1,500 square feet of leasable space remains in the building, according to Charles Thrift, who is handling the leasing.
- “Emmy Squared is a small, neighborhood restaurant, which fits Midwood perfectly,” a spokeswoman tells us.
Zoom out: The building is in a stretch of Plaza Midwood that’s rapidly changing, including with the upcoming transformation of the 12-acre Central Square property and the overhaul of the old Post Office building. [Go deeper]
- Emmy Squared also joins a growing list of major national restaurant names to expand into Charlotte. A few others include Snooze AM Eatery, Shake Shack, and The Eagle.