There’s no doubt that this has been a tough winter.
State and local officials are urging everyone to stay home and only go for essential activities. Brighter (and warmer) days are ahead, but until then here are 12 safe things you can do this winter.
(1) Order takeout from the food stalls at Optimist Hall
Details: With 21 food and drink vendors to choose from, you’re sure to find something you like.
Candy bonus: Pick up candy from the newly opened Collier Candy Co. in Optimist Hall and do an at-home movie night. Charlotte-related movies include:
- Talladega Nights, which was shot at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
- Masterminds, which was based on a real bank heist that happened here in Charlotte.
Location/hours: 1115 N Brevard St. Open Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., Saturday and Sunday 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
(2) Try a hot chocolate bomb
Details: A new way to experience drinking hot chocolate. Find the TikTok sensation in a few Charlotte bakeries.
Where to purchase:
- Sas Cupcakes – 9941 Rea Road, Ste. C
- Sweet Spot Studio (hot chocolate bomb kits) – 4418 Monroe Road Ste. C
- Kema’s Kakes – 4412 Monroe Road Ste. D
- Ninety’s Ice Cream and Sandwiches – 9009 J M Keynes Drive. Ste. 4
- Button Macarons – 106 Kings Mountain St., Clover, SC
[Related Agenda Story: The 8 best hot chocolates in Charlotte]
(3) Sign up for Sweet Spot Studio’s cookie club
Details: Sign up for the Sweet Spot Cookie Club to receive a single, 3-, or 6-month subscription box filled with all the materials you’ll need to decorate stunning cookies. Follow along with the videos online or come up with your own cookie creations. Pickup and delivery are available.
Cost: Sweet Spot Cookie Club is $55 for one month, $50/month for a 3-month subscription, and $45/month for a 6-month subscription.
(4) Bring a bit of greenery into your home with a new house plant
Details: While we’re spending a bit more time at home, try picking out a plant to add some life to your space. Charlotte has a growing list of plant shops.
- PlantBar – 2452 Park Rd. Unit D
- Pike Nurseries – 12630 N Community House Rd.
- The Gardens at BlackHawk – 4225 Park Rd.
- The Cactus Club – 1425 Winnifred St. Ste. 106
- Exceptional Terrariums – Atherton Market, 2000 South Blvd.
- Malone’s Nursery (coming soon) – 100 Radio Rd.
- Oakdale Greenhouses – 5626 Statesville Rd.
- Shades of Moss – 2422 North Tryon St.
(5) Become a chef with virtual classes from Chef Alyssa’s Kitchen
Details: Add a little bit of spice to your next at-home dinner by following along with a recorded cooking class lead by Chef Alyssa. Purchase of a class includes the recipe, an info sheet, and access to the video of your choice.
Price: $15 per class
(6) Explore a museum virtually
Details: Although museums are closed for the next three weeks due to the recent directive, you can still explore the galleries and partake in activities safely from home. Museums offering virtual programs and gallery tours include The Mint Museum, The Bechtler, The Levine Museum of the New South, and Discovery Place.
(7) Take a fun SkillPop class
(8) Cheer on the Hornets from home
Details: Order your favorite gameday food, throw on your team gear, and cheer on the Hornets. The next game is tomorrow (1/16) against the Toronto Raptors.
(9) Eat wings and watch the Super Bowl
Details: If you’re like me, your favorite thing about Super Bowl Sunday is the food. Wings are a must while you watch the action. Don’t know where to order from? We made a wing guide to help you out.
(10) Order cocktails to go
Details: In accordance with Governor Cooper’s mandates, bars are allowed to serve alcohol to-go until January 29. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Dot Dot Dot – 4237 Park Rd. Ste. B
- Unknown Brewing Co. – 1327 S Mint St.
- VANA – 1440 S Tryon St. Ste. 100
- RuRu’s Tacos – 715 Providence Rd.
(11) Pick up local beer from a bottle shop and do an at-home tasting
Details: Set up your own wintery beer flight with a sampling of porters and stouts from local breweries.
[Related Agenda Story: Complete list and map of Charlotte’s 30+ local breweries, plus the most popular beer at each]
(12) Buy board games from Carolina Tabletop Games and play at home
Details: Pass the time at home with a board game from Carolina Tabletop Games. Games are available for purchase online or in-store in limited quantities.