Epic Data Courier/Interface Analyst
This position focuses primarily on monitoring and maintaining the functioning of all interfaces used by/within the organization and the clinical electronic medical record, serving as a bridge between Epic implementation staff, various technology staff, and end users. Responsible for the analysis, design, development, configuration, integration, implementation, support, and maintenance of solutions based on Epic Bridges middleware interface technologies including analysis of data, business owner interaction for discovery, testing, documentation of requirements, building and maintaining mapping tables.
This position will assist in maintaining project plan and schedules; monitoring compliance with definitions of project scope, timelines, and deliverables and providing project status reports to internal management. Functions as a technical resource to other technical staff and the Help Desk. Assesses the organizational needs, troubleshooting, supporting and recommending solutions to integration issues as they arise in a 24/7 environment. Reviews existing build and workflows, analyzes new functionality and implements new workflows. Responsible for analyzing possible issues, building new functionality and workflows, unit testing, integrated testing, and assisting with training documentation and onsite support.
• Responsible for the analysis, design, development, conversion, implementation and management of Epic Bridges and Corepoint interfaces. Collaborates to seek resolution of system design conflicts for points of integration and communicates risk implications to team lead/project manager.
• Responsible for Data Courier administration including the configuration, monitoring, and troubleshooting of Data Courier interfaces. Maintains these interfaces and protection settings in accordance with policies and procedures.
• Responsible for the Document Management System (DMS) administration, configuration, and maintenance tasks and requirements.
• Assist in conversion activities including but not limited to documents, discrete data, CCDs, and extracts.
• Serves as a point person for assigned interfaces with following responsibilities:
• Coordinates analysis calls
• Maintains business requirements documentation
• Determines impact to interface, document configuration and build changes needed
• Develops interface specifications.
• Escalates issues or roadblocks encountered during analysis
• Performs configuration / build changes
• Coordinates or assist in all testing/validation of the interface
• Assist with troubleshooting during integrated testing and validation
• Responsibilities include analysis of data, business owner interaction for discovery and testing. It also includes documentation of requirements, building and maintaining mapping tables, development, testing, implementation and support Bridges interfaces. Researches tasks, digging into EPIC code to find answers to assist in analysis/design.
• Identifies the key data elements and how they relate to various interfacing scenarios.
• Verifies the scope of interfaces and works with Epic team to update the interface licenses and the interface scope documentation. Determines impact to interface, document configuration and build changes needed.
• Creates mapping documents for HL7 fields and sub-fields by collecting Epic system values and values for the other systems to serve as a central reference for doing mapping among the various systems.
• Documents current interface workflows and projected workflows with Epic Bridges. Contributes to development of integrated workflows working closely with the rest of the project team, subject matter experts and technical leads to define processes that cross applications and functional areas.
• Communicates with the other team members to ensure that application functionality and workflow requirements and needs are being addressed and met.
• Conducts functional and integrated testing in preparation for live cut over.
• Participates and sometimes facilitates building, planning and problem-solving discussions with project teams, patient access representatives, and leadership.
• Safeguards protected health information from any intentional or unintentional disclosure in compliance with applicable rules and regulations.
• Provides regular status updates to project lead/manager.
• Performs investigation of interface-related business and system requirements identified during the analysis phase.
• Works with project manager to maintain a detailed issues list to be reviewed periodically with vendor (Epic and legacy system vendors) and various teams.
• Runs error code frequency reports for multiple Epic interfaces; investigate and analyze the errors, cause of failure.
• Participates in resolving the failed messages and resubmit the messages before signoff.
Functions as a technical resource to other technical staff and the enterprise Help Desk.
• Knowledge of the healthcare environment including inpatient/outpatient/registration/ancillary systems. Understands data flow/functionality between various interfaced systems and the impact of data communications.
• Understands healthcare applications and terminology, patient care environments, and service needs and priorities of patient care personnel preferred.
• Experienced in the use of Epic Bridges including analysis, conversion, implementation and management of interfaces to and from Epic systems. In-depth understanding of core interface function and identify and gathering the necessary information to configure Epic interfaces.
• Ability to search for, look at, and edit HL7 messages through Bridges, the Epic interface utility toolkit
• Solid understanding of computer systems, interfaces, software, and IT functions.
• Understands all phases of integration projects: Design, Analysis, Development, Testing and Integration.
• In-depth knowledge of security requirements, web services, service-oriented architecture, design patterns, multi-threaded systems, and automated unit testing.
• Familiar with HIPAA, JCAHO and other regulations that impact hospitals and clinics.
• Experienced in conducting and documenting gap analysis, creation of interface project plans and dealing with/negotiating with various vendors to accomplish on-time and reliable interfaces.
• Ability to search out solutions and approaches to problems associated with the delivery of information in a patient care or hospital business environment. Approaches problems constructively by focusing on how to move the project forward.
• Demonstrated ability to adapt to project changes related to scope, schedule, workflow, and system utilization.
• Flexible and adaptable, functions well as a team player, remains calm and cheerful under stressful conditions, is comfortable working with diverse skill sets and personalities.
• Excellent analytical, communication and organizational skills, and the ability to multi-task and be a team player. Demonstrated ability to build relationships and effectively communicate with the project team, and key stakeholders, including outside vendors. Works closely and collaboratively with other project team members and organizational leaders.
• Competent with mainstream office automation, project management, presentation, and communications tools.
• Prior experience working on large-sized systems projects in a technology-driven environment,
• Possesses strong interpersonal skills and effective communication skills, written and oral.
• Self-motivated, creative, highly organized, with proven ability to meet deadlines, prioritize workload, and manage own time effectively.
Experience and education
• Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent experience. Associates Degree minimum.
• 5 or more years of experience in the development and implementation of online and batch applications including data analysis, design, programming and implementation, and experience working with end users to gather and interpret requirements.
• 2 years of related experience as an interface analyst or with interface/integration projects with at least two major system implementations (go lives). Demonstrated track record showing strong analytical skills delivering integrated solutions.
• Experience with Epic Bridges interfaces includes the documentation, analysis, design, building, testing, implementation and support of Epic Bridges interfaces (certification in EPIC Bridges highly desirable).
• 3 years of business systems and/or project experience with exposure to systems or project development and testing, installation, and training.
• Must have experience developing and supporting the Epic environment and an extensive background utilizing HL7 to integrate multiple systems and build interfaces.
• Other preferred experience in many of the following: Corepoint Integration Engine; OnBase Document Management System; DICOM interfaces; NCPDP Standards; ANSI X12; XML; Epic Chronicles; Epic Caché; Epic applications and systems experience (Radiant, Prelude, Cadence, Resolute, etc.); various DBMS; XML; JSON.
• Solid knowledge of data management.
• Knowledge of security requirements, web services, service-oriented architecture, design patterns, multi-threaded systems, and automated unit testing. Must have solid platform skills.
• Ability to learn new technologies in a short period of time.
Solid analytical & reasoning skills, good verbal and written communication, ability to work in a team environment and is self-motivated
• This position reports to the Epic Data Conversion/Interface Manager.
• Works closely with the other application analysts and project teams to complete actions as assigned on team-level work plans and report status, progress and project-related issues as appropriate.
• Works closely with vendors
• Is in frequent communication with other companies and outside vendors on technology issues.
Develops relationships with professional organizations, user groups, and help function personnel at other companies to keep abreast of new industry trends.