Manages payroll process, benefit deduction, payroll taxes, and associated government reporting, including bi-weekly processing of payroll for 250+ multi-state full service real estate company.
• Responsible for the complete bi-weekly payroll processing for a multi-state environment, including exempt and non-exempt employees. Accurately interpreting and applying payroll tax laws.
• Carefully reviewing and accurately entering timecards, bonuses, garnishments, benefit deductions, 401(k) deductions, FMLA/STD/LTD/PTO or other time away from work for compliance with established standards.
• Processing all payroll items related to new hires and terminating employees.
• Reviewing all payroll reports before and after each processing to ensure accuracy, correcting incorrect items, including doing manual checks, etc., before an employee is affected; conversing with tax filing department at payroll provider to ensure their awareness of void/manual checks.
• Processing a wide variety of record keeping and payroll processing activities, including computing wage and overtime payments, calculating and recording payroll deductions, processing terminations, entering new hires into the payroll system, posting changes in pay and tax status, and miscellaneous changes.
• Demonstrating full understanding of employee benefit taxability to ensure proper input into payroll system; e.g., moving expenses, etc.
• Accurately interpreting and applicating state and federal wage and hour laws: exempt v. non-exempt, overtime payments, etc.
• Assisting with ACA 1095-c benefit coding and IRS/employee filings.
• Reviewing quarterly tax reports to ensure accurate filing by payroll provider, following up if needed.
• Tracking and entering Service Awards and referral bonuses throughout the year, and Year-end bonuses at year end.
• Entering correct PTO accrual rates for new hires.
• Handling 401(k) deferral changes, new 401(k) deferral set-up, new loan payments, and tracking to ensure 401(k) limits are adhered to.
• Entering wellness rewards throughout the year.
• Entering all new or life-change benefit deductions, including HSA agency check set up and employer HSA contributions. Enter mid-year HSA changes and confirm accuracy.
• Tracking FFCRA and extended FMLA hours and pay to ensure balances are not negative and appropriate hours are used. Handling employer liability report adjustments for CARES Act, SS deferment and FFCRA credits.
• Tracking STD/FMLA pay in conjunction with PTO hours, ensuring PTO hours are exhausted first. Calculating and entering catch-up deductions for benefits when return to work from STD/FMLA. Coordinating with STD/LTD carrier payroll tax recording and reporting.
• Creating HRA reporting and tracking each pay period.
• Providing FSA allocation report summary for rebilling.
• Handling reporting for property payroll re-bills each pay period; posting payroll journal entries, researching payroll cash transactions.
• Reviewing annual workers comp reporting and reconciling to payroll reports; reviewing and updating workers comp annual exposure workbook for renewal at year end. Providing workers comp analysis and requisite reporting to workers comp carrier.
• Providing a variety of payroll reporting to EVP, Finance and others for things such as PPP loans, monthly reports, workers comp reports, census reports, etc. Completing of government or vendor forms and reports, as needed.
• Entering monthly corporate entity journal entries and assisting with corporate invoicing and filing. Creating bank deposit for weekly check runs. Coordinating expense reporting process for company.
• Conversing with Accounting and Human Resources on a regular basis to ensure payroll, accounting and HR are on the same page regarding benefits, employee data, and payroll obligations.
• Reviewing and auditing year-end data and W-2 data to ensure accuracy. Notifying accounting and HR of needed items for W-2s and follow up to ensure timely input for W-2 printing.
• Managing full responsibility for year-begin process, including working with HR to ensure accurate PTO transfer.
• Ensuring supervisors are trained and understand how to accurately keep track of their employees’ time and how to complete timesheets.
• Serving as point of contact to answer all questions on PTO accrual, payroll checks, how data can be accessed, etc. from employees and supervisors.
• Updating and maintaining payroll distribution of employees and communicate/document changes to the accounting department.
• Continually educating on payroll reports and system processes for full understanding of each. Attending ongoing training to stay current on payroll products, employment laws, tax laws, and benefits.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Bachelors degree preferred; high school diploma or GED required
• 5+ years of payroll experience, preferably using Paylocity payroll products
• Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) or other payroll certifications preferred
• High level of proficiency with Excel and other Office products
• Strong attention to detail required.
• Strong knowledge of state and federal wage and hour laws and payroll tax requirements required.
• High level of confidentiality, and ability to work with sensitive information.
Physical demands/environmental factors:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Works in office setting.
• Moves about to coordinate work.
Critical features of this position are described under the previous headings. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked by supervisors to perform other non-essential assignments and duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks listed in this job description.
MANAGEMENT HAS THE RIGHT TO REVISE THIS JOB DESCRIPTION AT ANY TIME. THE JOB DESCRIPTION IS NOT A CONTRACT FOR EMPLOYMENT, AND EITHER YOU OR THE EMPLOYER MAY TERMINATE EMPLOYMENT AT ANY TIME, FOR ANY REASON, WITH OR WITHOUT NOTICE.