A new sandwich shop called The Lunchbox quietly opened in August in the former Chief’s Smoke Shop space in Plaza Midwood.
James Ryan Ennis is the owner of both businesses and says he pivoted to meet the needs of the neighborhood.
Plaza Midwood is saturated with smoke shops; there are at least five (!) within a mile-stretch of Central Avenue. While the neighborhood is not without sandwich options (Common Market, Deli St.), there was more of an opening there, Ennis says.
Menu: The Lunchbox’s menu includes 14 signature sandwiches ranging in price from $9.59 to $11.29, including a drink and side. There’s also a build-your-own option that starts at $10.59. Here are a few highlights:
- Bambino – capicola, pepperoni, salami, banana peppers, red onions, Duke’s mayo, lettuce, heirloom tomatoes, provolone, oil and vinegar.
- Gordon Hamsey – fire-roasted ham, spreadable brie, lettuce, and onion jam.
- C.L.T. – applewood slab bacon, lettuce, heirloom tomatoes, sprouts, and garlic aioli.
- Knuckle Sandwich – meatballs, onions, peppers, marinara, provolone, and mozzarella.
- Big Dipper – a French dip sandwich with rare roast beef, carmelized onions, provolone, and jus.
Sides include potato salad, chips, or macaroni salad.
Shop dog: If you go, be sure to say hi to Apollo, Ennis’ dog. Apollo is there most days, and he’s super friendly.
Set-up: Order your sandwich inside or from the outdoor pick-up window (press the door bell). There are a few tables outside, but it’s mostly a grab-and-go set-up.
Hours: The Lunchbox is open seven days a week. On Monday through Saturday, it’s open 11 a.m.-9 p.m. On Sunday, it’s open noon to 9 p.m.
Location: The Lunchbox is located at 1306 Central Avenue right next to the train tracks and near Moo & Brew.
Looking for more sandwich options? Here’s our guide to the best sandwiches in Charlotte.