Director of Preschool
Covenant is a forward-thinking church with a culture of embracing creativity and innovation as we live out our mission to love God and each other. With our location in the Dilworth neighborhood on the edge of uptown, Covenant responds to the spiritual needs of people from many walks of life. Our steeple graces the skyline of Charlotte, reminding us and our neighbors we are loved by God and called to share that love. Our main entrance, open to all, bears the words, “To the Greater Glory of God” reminding us why we are here.
The Covenant Preschool is beloved by families in our community. It consistently earns sterling reviews from parents who place their children in our church’s care.
Create a preschool that ministers to young children and their families as an outreach of Covenant Presbyterian Church. The Director will lead and manage all aspects of the daily operations of the preschool.
• Create, manage, and expand a developmentally appropriate preschool that is consistent with the total church program, in particular the Christian education of young children.
• Keep abreast of research and new developments in the field of Early Childhood Education, communicate such developments to teachers, and provides staff with opportunities to participate in appropriate programs and/or workshops in early childhood education.
• Articulate orally and in writing the school philosophy, program, and its strengths to church members, staff, families, and the community.
• Meet monthly with Preschool Committee in formulating and maintaining program policies and procedures.
• Understand the different codes and regulations-fire, child welfare, building, health, sanitation, playground safety, child custody- as they relate to the delivery of early childhood programs.
• Recruit, interview and hire qualified teachers and staff for the school.
• Provide personal and professional support to teachers, train staff on all school policies, complete classroom observations monthly and annual reviews. Complete exit interviews and all paperwork for terminated staff members.
• Develop an annual budget, monitor salary, and program expenses in consultation with Church Administrator and Preschool Committee.
• Plan yearly calendar for approval by Preschool Committee.
• Oversee the collection of registration and tuition monies.
• Oversee purchase and maintenance of supplies and equipment for the preschool program.
• Implement marketing strategies to successfully recruit new families and teachers, maintain school enrollment at or above 90%.
• Have personal knowledge of all students and families.
• Design an efficient and safe carpool system with proper signage with the church administrator and property committee and staffed by director and teachers
• Provide all materials, tours, and class assignments for the annual registration of children.
• Provide orientation for staff in August and all children and families in September
• Communicate frequently with staff and families throughout the school year about upcoming preschool and church events, programming, and personnel changes including monthly newsletter updates.
• Support teachers in counseling parents with specific child development, behavior or classroom issues.
• Meet monthly with Parent Council to coordinate parent/child enrichment events, teacher appreciation opportunities, and to enhance school communication.
• Plan and equip indoor and outdoor play areas in conjunction with the Div. of Education, Recreation Wing, Property, Buildings & Grounds.
• Complies with the church Child/Volunteer Protection Policy
• Coordinate with full-day center for shared play areas.
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education or related field
• Experience as a preschool teacher, with knowledge of NAEYC best practices
• Experience in managing teachers and support staff
• Good verbal and written communication skills; knowledgeable in the fields of budget management and computer technology.
Regular work week is Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. There will be the occasion for evening meetings and Preschool events that will fall outside of regular daytime hours