Chief Operations Officer
The Urban League of Central Carolinas is a well-established and administered community based, nonprofit organization affiliated with the National Urban League since 1978. The Urban League is experiencing tremendous organizational growth and is seeking a dynamic strategic leader to join the senior management team. The Urban League provides a myriad of services and programs to youth and families, which can be viewed on the website at www.urbanleaguecc.org
The COO ensures the coordination and alignment of all ULCC programs, administrative operations, and annual budget with the strategic plan and goals adopted by the President & CEO and Board of Directors. The COO provides coordination for the ULCC senior management team, serving at times as a liaison to ULCC partners; and works with the President & CEO to keep him/her abreast of programmatic and operational strategies, challenges, and metrics. The COO assists the President & CEO and Senior Management Team to develop, implement, and manage the operational aspects of employee relations functions. In addition, the COO provides supplemental support under the direction of the President and CEO for funding and partner opportunities.
• Translates the strategic plan and goals of the ULCC in a clear and measurable manner to the agency staff.
• Collaborates with the President & CEO and the VP of Finance to ensure Annual budget alignment with the strategic plan and agency goals and disseminates to department staff for Program buy in.
• Reviews progress of the strategic plan and towards goals, providing monthly updates to the President & CEO.
• Anticipates staffing needs across the agency for daily operations.
• Assesses the needs of the Programs Department and communicates their budgetary needs to the Finance and Development Departments, creating a cohesive unit of work.
• Coordinates the development of department budgets with the Finance Department and ensures monitoring of budget lines.
• Investigates new and more effective uses of technology and software to accomplish Program and Administrative objectives.
• Assists President & CEO in employee performance management process, including yearly goal setting, monthly goal updates and semi-annual performance reviews.
• Coordinates and facilitates monthly All-Staff meetings and individual Department meetings and participates Senior Management meetings.
• Assists President & CEO with concepts, ideas and implementation strategies for the work environment.
• Assists the President & CEO and staff with funding and partner opportunities as needed.
• Monitors and reports agency key indicators including Impact and Success Rates, with the Senior Management team to share with donors and partners.
• Performs all other duties as assigned.
• Education and/or Experience – Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Economics, or a related field required. The ideal candidate will have a Master’s degree with at least 5-7 years’ successful leadership experience at a social impact or nonprofit organization. Fund development experience is a plus.
• Language Skills – Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to write speeches and articles using original or innovative techniques or style. Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
• Planning/Organizational Skills- Prioritizes tasks and handles multiple projects simultaneously. Prioritizes, organizes, and delegates assignments to ensure agency functionality.
• Other: Out of town travel occasionally; must have a valid driver’s license
• Must be able to pass background check and drug screening
• Mission Advancement: Incorporates the ULCC’s mission and values into the organization’s vision and strategies. Ensures community engagement. Leads a culture of volunteerism ensuring engagement, inclusion, and ownership. Leads a culture of philanthropy.
• Strategic Agility: Sees ahead clearly. Can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately. Has broad knowledge and perspective. Is future oriented, can articulately paint credible pictures and visions of possibilities and likelihoods. Can create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans.
• Collaboration: Advocates for and institutionalizes inclusion and diversity throughout the organization. Initiates the development of relationships with influential leaders to impact and strengthen the community. Is recognized as an inspirational community leader who navigates complex political and social circles with ease. Communicates to engage and inspire people within and outside the ULCC.
• Operational Effectiveness: Possesses penetrating insight and strong strategic and critical thinking skills. Invests resources in well-designed innovation initiatives. Creates a structure to deliver organization-wide results to achieve objectives. Develops and implements stewardship strategies. Determines benchmarks and ensures appropriate leadership to meet objectives.
• Action Oriented: Enjoys working hard. Is action oriented and full of energy for the things seen as challenging. Seizes more opportunities than others. Reacts quickly to critical situations.