Senior Director of Strategic Communications
This position will lead the development and implementation of the University’s brand vision, strategy, and communication campaigns to attract the best students, motivate alumni and donors, and recruit high-quality faculty and staff and positively position the brand across key stakeholders.
Design, develop, and manage a comprehensive integrated marketing communications plan which will coordinate marketing- and communications-related activities across the University community. Goals include ensuring consistency in positioning, branding, messaging, and promotions with economy and efficiency toward various diverse constituents and target markets.
This position will be responsible for the overall University brand, research-based messaging, and communications campaigns using both paid and earned channels. The incumbent will report to the Chief Communications Officer, serving as a key member of the University Communications leadership team, and will lead a team of professionals in the area of advancement communications, social media, web strategy/email marketing and marketing operations, project management and analytics. The role will lead the development and implementation of the University’s brand vision, strategy, and communication campaigns to attract the best students, motivate alumni and donors, and recruit high-quality faculty and staff and positively position the brand across key stakeholders.
• A minimum of 10+ years of experience managing marketing and communications in a complex, dynamic environment.
• A Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, public relations or related field.
• Exceptional strategic planning skills, including a demonstrated ability to use multiple pieces of data to create insights to shape direction.
• A demonstrated knowledge of the latest marketing strategies and channels, especially in the digital media space.
• Demonstrated experience in brand positioning and execution to a variety of stakeholders.
• Strong budgeting and cost-management skills and an ability to maximize impact with a limited budget.
• Strong listening skills, combined with effective, articulate, and persuasive public speaking.
• Strong experience in managing advertising and media buying agencies.
• Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution.
• An ability to work independently and responsibly while managing numerous projects simultaneously.
• 3+ years directly managing a team with demonstrated experience in building, mentoring, and coaching a team of marketing and communications specialists.
• MBA preferred
• Experience in higher education
• Experience in crisis communications