Healthcare Industrial Engineer
Carolinas HealthCare System is Atrium Health. Our mission remains the same: to improve health, elevate hope, and advance healing – for all. The name Atrium Health allows us to grow beyond our current walls and geographical borders to impact as many lives as possible and deliver solutions that help communities thrive. For more information, please visit atriumhealth.org/about-us.
At Atrium Health, formerly Carolinas HealthCare System, our patients, communities, and teammates are at the center of everything we do. Our commitment to diversity and inclusion allows us to deliver care that is superior in quality and compassion across our network of more than 900 care locations.
As a leading, innovative health system, we promote an environment where differences are valued and integrated into our workforce. Our culture of inclusion and cultural competence allows us to achieve our goals and deliver the best possible experience to patients and the communities we serve.
The Healthcare Industrial Engineer develops innovative solutions that serve to optimize quality and efficiency in the care we provide. The Healthcare Industrial Engineer will lead to dynamic projects that improve the way healthcare is delivered and experienced. The individual will work collaboratively with all levels and leaders throughout the organization to assess and implement initiatives.
• Analyzes and evaluates existing clinical and operational systems and processes, identifying value-added and non-value-added activities to solve design challenges.
• Identifies opportunities to prevent waste and inefficiency in clinical and operational processes.
• Conceives, designs, tests, and develops innovative solutions based on analysis and organizational objectives.
• Evaluates and explores new and existing processes, equipment, and materials as input to scheduling methods, performance metrics, and financial standards
• Manages and conducts employee training for value stream mapping, project management, and continuous quality improvement for teammates.
• Utilizes principles of mathematics, science, and engineering to streamline processes.
• Identifies data needs, analyze complex data sets, and synthesize insights to identify areas of opportunity and potential solutions.
• Researches and tests design ideas to determine feasibility, utilizing Lean principles, Kaizen, Six Sigma, and root cause analysis to formulate/support innovation, corrective actions, and continuous improvement activities.
• Facilitates problem-solving sessions with multidisciplinary workgroups
• Creates and maintains required process documentation, including process flow charts, capacity and utilization studies, time and motion studies, standard work, cycle time analysis.
• Collaborates with cross-functional teams to gain insight and direction
• Intermittent to rapid pace with high-pressure situations, requiring periods of prolonged concentration, and critical thinking. Travel to multiple locations may be required. Fluency in reading, writing, and speaking English is essential.
Bachelor’s degree in industrial or systems engineering required. Masters degree preferred. 3 years of industrial/systems engineering experience required. Healthcare experience preferred but not required. Experience with utilizing Lean principles, Kaizen, Six Sigma tools required. Advanced experience using business intelligence tools required.