Passport Program Coordinator
The mission statement of the Undergraduate Admissions Office is “to provide quality service, promote quality service, promote educational opportunities, and facilitate enrollment at the University.” We value our position as the first contact a prospective student or the general public may have with the University.
The Passport Program is a co-sponsored program between UNC Charlotte’s Undergraduate Admissions Office and the Transfer Resource Center at Central Piedmont Community College (CPCC). The program offers counseling and advising to a select group of students at CPCC. In addition, the program offers a course at UNC Charlotte, social and academic programming, and individualized attention.
The Passport Coordinator is the primary contact for the Passport Program for prospective and current Passport students as well as a resource for students who have already successfully transitioned to UNC Charlotte. The Passport Coordinator recruits students to the program; reviews applications and renders admissions decisions; advises students on coursework and assists with enrollment; teaches multiple classes focused on first-year transition, leadership, and career exploration; plans and coordinates recruitment and social events; assists students and families through the enrollment process.
The Passport Program Coordinator is a member of the Admissions Team and assists with admissions events and activities as needed.
• Provide expertise on the following topics: the college admissions process, planning for college, successfully making the transition from high school to college and from the community college to the university, transfer advising, course selection and academic success.
• Manage the Passport Program with CPCC. The Passport Coordinator is the primary contact for the Passport Program for prospective and current Passport students as well as a resource for students who have already successfully transitioned to UNC Charlotte. The Coordinator offers individualized counseling sessions and academic advising to Passport Students.
• Develop programming initiatives for students to assist with academic and social success in college and coordinates academic advising and orientation programs for new students.
• Use discretion and judgment when reviewing application files and rendering admissions decisions. The Coordinator utilizes academic plans of study to assist students in course selection and planning.
• Teach several sections of UCOL 1000 at UNC Charlotte each semester. This course emphasizes academic success skills and career planning, as well as transition planning. It introduces students to the various resources at UNC Charlotte that support student success and aid in their transition to UNC Charlotte.
• Oversee the Passport Leaders Program- a mentor community of Passport students who have successfully transitioned to UNC Charlotte. This includes teaching 2 courses focused on leadership and communication and career planning.
• Gathering and evaluating data on student performance and making changes to the programming offered based upon the conclusions drawn from this data.
• Prepare annual report data on the Passport Program.
• Master’s degree
• A minimum of one year of experience in a successful advising/admissions operation in a community college, four-year college or university setting and prior experience as a classroom instructor
• Coursework in counseling, creative writing, research, marketing, and public speaking and communications is preferred.
• Possess strong interpersonal skills and be able to communicate effectively in writing and in person with a variety of constituencies including students, parents, counselors, faculty members, alumni, trustees, etc.
• Strong organizational and planning skills
• The ability to make independent decisions that affect short-term and long-term goals of the Passport Program, Undergraduate Admissions, and the university.
• Prior experience teaching first-year seminar-type courses at the college level