Public Relations Manager (HIRED)
Charlotte’s local government, with more than 7,000 employees and a $2.39 billion budget, works hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play.
Charlotte Communications and Marketing develops innovative and strategic communication and marketing solutions to advance the city’s overall vision and tell the stories that shape Charlotte. The Charlotte Communications and Marketing team members are subject matter experts in the areas of internal communications, media relations, video and web services, program management, community engagement and graphic design.
The City of Charlotte is seeking an innovative and enthusiastic individual who wants to make an impact on the City and our community. The Public Relations Manager will oversee, develop and build our public relations team.
This role will be responsible for working with department directors to develop and execute public relations strategies and plans to educate, inspire and connect the many communities the City of Charlotte serves. This position oversees the public relations team while working in a fast-paced, highly visible organization with enthusiasm and energy.
We are looking for someone passionate about telling stories, developing winning strategies, leading successful teams and being a part of an organization dedicated to serving one of the fastest growing and most dynamic cities in the country. This position will report directly to the Communications Director, the City’s senior communications and marketing executive.
• Lead Public Relations team & directly manage public relations staff while working successfully / collaboratively across larger communications & marketing leadership team
• Serve as strategic communications leader for several city departments client & account manager
• Maintain excellent relationships with city leadership & staff
• Create & manage PR budgets / deadlines / objectives / schedules
• Enhance City’s reputation
• Set objectives for PR team & monitor team members’ performance
• Cultivate & maintain relationships with media / influential professionals
• Ensure brand consistency in all communication efforts
• Lead events increasing awareness of City
• Assign tasks & projects to team
• Critical thinker understanding departmental goals / how communications & marketing support / drive goals
• Knowledge of Paid / Earned / Shared / Owned media strategies & channels
• Ability to work in fast-paced & highly visible organization
• Excellent leadership & communications skills / presentation abilities
• Understanding & interest in current events / politics / government
• Comfortable working in dynamic environment
• Experience with proactive media outreach & thought leadership strategies
• Bachelor’s degree in English / Communications / Public Relations / Marketing / Advertising / similar field
• Eight years of experience in-house or communications agency
• Experience managing people & teams across complex / integrated organization
• Track record of successful coaching & managing
• Track record of developing & executing communications strategies
• Experience working with journalists & responding to media requests
• Bachelor’s degree with five (5) years of relevant work experience; or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the essential job duties
$69,350 – $86,687; Commensurate with Experience.
This position has been filled. To search all open positions, visit our Job Board.