Social Media Shooter
The primary role of the Social Media Shooter is to create compelling programming on Instagram (our No. 1 channel), Facebook, and Twitter. You’ll lead social programming from idea to execution. You should have reporting skills and a natural curiosity. You are self-directed, action-oriented, enthusiastic, and have best-in-class production skills. You’re especially an Instagram expert and already have ideas on how to improve our handles and build community. This is a critical role. No other local media company in the United States takes social media as seriously as the Agenda.
The Social Media Shooter will report into our Managing Editor, while working with the entire team. And although this is an editorial role (you won’t work with advertisers), you need to have an understanding of media business models so that you can participate in strategic planning. There is significant room for personal/professional growth as our business booms — we expect you to grow with us.
This is a critical position for the Agenda as we continue to create a blueprint for a modern local media company. We reach more than 1 million readers each month. Currently, we have a staff of 9 full time employees and a handful of contributors. We expect you to be self-directed and make us better from day one.
What you’ll actually do (we’ll revise these based on your strengths):
- Shooting. You’ll take iPhone photos and videos across all our social handles, but especially Instagram. You have proven talent here and could do this part in your sleep.
- Social management. You’ll distribute our web content and other assets across Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. You understand how to build a community on these channels (not just copy/paste links). In addition, you will plan and “own” our social editorial calendar.
- Producing. You’ll produce Instagram stories and other “shows” with Agenda editorial talent. You need to understand video, audio, and editing.
- Teaching. You’ll be a great teammate. Social media is baked into the DNA of the Agenda, but as the resident expert we expect you to teach others so that the entire team has the skills and knowledge to create best-in-class social programming. Everybody contributes; it’s not just you who’ll run the handles.
- Writing and reporting. You’re an expert at shooting, but you’ll also be able to talk with newsmakers and write web stories. Depending on your strengths, we’ll likely have you write a story or two each week.
- Best in class salary. Our target is to be in the top 10% compensation tier for all roles.
- Healthcare. The Agenda offers a Blue Cross Blue Shield plan and pays 75% of the total premium for you and your family.
- Vacation and paid holidays. You get 28 total days off, including Christmas week and July 4th week.
- Learn new skills. If you’re looking to learn things, we’ll cover the bill up to $1,000 annually (think conferences or classes).
- Paid parental leave. 8 weeks paid from birth.
- Hardware and software costs. 100% covered (ex: laptop, iPhone, phone bill, photoshop, etc). You’ll always have the best tools.
- Simple expense accounts. You’ll get a company credit card. We don’t ask questions, just act like an owner.