Facilities Technician (HIRED)
Oversight of day-to-day operations for Discovery Place, Inc. facilities and grounds. Provide minor support for building-related systems such as security, parking systems and general lighting/.power. Assist with the setup and break down of company special events. Lead coordinator of all emergency evacuation situations and primary responder for all onsite medical emergency. Provides support for activities related to building aesthetics such as flooring, painting and custodial work.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
Responsible for supporting all day-to-day activities related to facility maintenance, support systems and grounds including
• Follows company policies and procedures.
• Properly open, close and secure facilities on a daily basis.
• Setup and breakdown event equipment for company-sponsored events and provide logistical support if needed.
• Responsible for receiving, documenting, securing and delivering USPS, FedEx, UPS and freight mail and packages daily.
• Executes Work Orders provided by Facilities Manager daily.
• Performs minor repairs pertaining to, but not limited to drywall, paint, carpet and plumbing.
• Assist with movement, relocation or disposal of equipment, furniture or supplies.
• Resolves minor functionality problems with most building-related systems including security, parking systems and general lighting/power of the facility.
• Reports any major Building system issues to The City of Charlotte immediately.
• Performs daily interior/exterior inspections of the facility and immediately address any issues related to the overall building aesthetics.
• Works with other departments to ensure that all back-of-house and storage areas are neat, orderly and clean to meet museum standards.
• Monitors daily custodial services and directs custodial staff for any cleaning related needs or requests.
• Safely escorts the parking deck attendant to and from parking deck booth on a daily basis.
• Performs Cash Out procedures with the Parking Attendant if needed.
• Ensures the replenishment of gold coins for customer change in the parking deck pay station.
• Ensures proper delivery of parking deck pay station note safe and reports on a weekly basis.
• Performs other tasks as directed by the Facilities Manager, Director or other senior staff members.
Responsible for safety and security-related tasks and issues including, but not limited to
• Conducts daily inspections of all facilities and reports and/or resolves any safety/security related issues.
• First aid responder for all medical emergency situations.
• Exercise good judgment, quickly address and direct appropriate actions in emergency situations.
• Obtain incident reports and witness statements for all injuries, property damage or other incidents that warrant documentation and take the necessary actions to address the situation.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner.
• Gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
• Develops alternative solutions.
• Works well in group problem-solving situations.
• Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics. Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming.
• Maintains confidentiality.
• Meets challenges with resourcefulness.
• Looks for ways to improve and promote quality.
• Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. Sets and achieves challenging goals.
• Applies feedback to improve performance.
• Monitors own work to ensure quality.
• Meets productivity standards.
• Completes work in timely manner.
• Strives to increase productivity.
• Works quickly. Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles.
• Observes safety and security procedures.
• Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines.
• Reports potentially unsafe conditions.
• Uses equipment and materials properly.
• Exhibits sound and accurate judgmentS.
• Supports and explains reasoning for decisions.
• Coordinates projects. Includes appropriate people in decision-making process.
• Makes timely decisions.
• Develops innovative approaches and ideas.
• Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, listens and gets clarification.
• Responds well to questions.
• Demonstrates group presentation skills.
• Participates in meetings. Writes clearly and informatively.
• Able to read and interpret written information.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and experience
• High School Diploma or GED equivalent. One to two years of facility maintenance experience or in a related field. First Aid/AED certification preferred but not required.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
• Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
• Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
• Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
• Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
• Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
• Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
• To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Word 2003 or later word processing software, Microsoft Outlook 2003, Microsoft Excel 2003 or later spreadsheet software and Internet software.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to work in high, precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, outdoor weather conditions and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather) and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee is frequently required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit.
Employees of Discovery Place should uphold the mission, vision and values of the organization. We strive to provide exceptional service through four core values: uncommon courtesy, the pursuit of personal excellence, teamwork and inclusion. We value the diversity of opinions and intellectual thought and encourage an environment where employees can share ideas openly.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities of this job. Other duties may be assigned. This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.
This position has been filled. To search all open positions, visit our Job Board.