Editor’s note: This story was originally published in September 2019. It was updated in July 2021.
Construction will start on a 41-room, 5-star luxury waterfront resort called Sunset Cove early next year. It’ll be on the Lake Norman shoreline in Mooresville.
Brett Krueger, the developer, originally planned for Sunset Cove to open this summer, as we reported back in 2019. But just as they were about to break ground in March 2020, Covid happened.
He’s since scaled back his original vision of 82 rooms but hopes to break ground on the 15.5-acre development in early 2022.
Why it matters: Sunset Cove gives locals the chance to experience Lake Norman in a way many currently can’t (unless you have a boat or house there). Think about the impact Hello, Sailor has had — people flock there in droves to have a cocktail and a meal by the water.
Once Sunset Cove opens, people will be able to design their own staycation, whether that means staying by the water for a weekend or sitting on the beach for one day.
- The only other waterfront hotel or motel is the Lake Norman Motel in Sherrills Ford, a no-frills spot that’s been around since the 1970s and includes “color cable TV” on its list of amenities. This will be the lake area’s only luxury resort.
What it is: A 41-room hotel with an Italian steakhouse, indoor-outdoor spa and a private beach. There will also be around 200 condos on site that will be listed for $700,000 to $5 million, Krueger said.
- He envisions people will buy the condos as investment properties. So owners will have the opportunity to rent their units through the hotel, almost like an Airbnb.
- Guests will be able to book the condos directly through the hotel for as little as a one-night stay.
“I want to give people something they’ve maybe had only a few times in their life: total and complete relaxation,” Krueger said in our first interview, back in 2019.
- He still stands by that statement. And with as hot as the luxury real estate market is in Lake Norman, he’s still excited to bring a luxury hotel to the area.
The spa: The spa will have typical offerings like massages and other wellness treatments, plus a private outdoor relaxation area. People who aren’t staying at the hotel will be able to book treatments and use the facilities, too (similar to the Ballantyne or Ritz).
The restaurant: Sunset Cove will also include a high-end steakhouse. Krueger said to expect an Italian restaurant with Lake Norman views.
The beach club: Access to the beach is included for guests, but non-guests will be able to spend day at the beach club for a fee. Lake Norman has long been elusive for people who don’t live there. Unless you have a house on the shore or use a boat, finding a spot to hang out lakeside is difficult.
- There are only two public accesses currently: Lake Norman State Park and Ramsey Creek.
Design: Krueger, the former Vice President of MRK Investments, helped produce The Ivey’s in Uptown, and he also did the Windsor in Asheville. Expect a similar level of luxury for Sunset Cove.
All 41 rooms will have views of the water, and the design is inspired by resorts in the Mediterranean and Bali. You’ll see greenery and water features throughout to tie in some of the natural elements of the lake setting. Krueger said it’ll have a “boutique flare.”
Timeline: Krueger hopes to start building the condos in early 2022, followed by the hotel.
These renderings are from the initial much larger hotel footprint. Krueger said the new plan is about half the size but he’s still going for the destination resort feel, seen in these images. All renderings courtesy of Brett Krueger.
This article was last updated on July 18, 2021.