We’re living through a chicken sandwich renaissance.
Homegrown chain Bojangles launched a new sandwich over the summer by painting walls in Charlotte and parking a truck in New York. Still, many folks give Popeyes the slight nod on the national fast-food variety.
- Meanwhile, Nashville hot chicken is the menu item du jour in our city, popping up everywhere.
- And of course there are the old favorite spiedie options at places like Reid’s and Dilworth Neighborhood Grille.
If you love chicken sandwiches like we do, enjoy eating your way through our list of 20 must-try chicken sandwiches in Charlotte.
- Important! Chicken sandwiches are listed in no specific order (this is not a ranking).
OK, let’s talk chicken.
(1) Horace’s Favorite Fried Chicken Sandwich — Horace’s Hot Fried Chicken
Served with coleslaw, spicy mayo, and house-made pickles, sold out of a little building at Wells Fargo Plaza in Uptown. What an addition this is to Charlotte’s chicken sandwich game over the past couple years.
329 S. Tryon St. in Uptown
(2) The Chicken Biscuit — Suffolk Punch
On the brunch menu, flash-fried chicken and scrambled eggs topped with a caramelized onion gravy on a homemade biscuit.
2911 Griffith St. in South End
(3) Israeli Hot Chicken Sandwich — Yafo
Spicy red schug slathered chicken schnitzel on a bun with red cabbage slaw. This sandwich packs some heat.
(4) The Beaut — Bossy Beulah’s Chicken Shack
Joyce Farms chicken breast, pickles, and a whole lot of Duke’s mayo on a Copain bun. The chicken is brined and then buttermilk-soaked before being seasoned with salt and pepper, floured, and deep-fried.
2200 Freedom Dr. in Wesley Heights
(5) Spicy chicken sandwich — Hello, Sailor
Topped with lettuce, pickles, and mayonnaise and served with choice of fries, house salad, coleslaw, or watermelon pastor.
20210 Henderson Rd. in Cornelius
(6) Chicken Finger Sub — Bisonte Pizza Co
Chicken fingers tossed in buffalo sauce with lettuce, tomato, and your choice of cheese.
(7) Chicken Torta — Sav/Way Foods
With more than 20 different types of tortas, Sav/Way is an authentic sandwich-lovers paradise. This football-sized torta on fresh bread is stuffed with chicken, avocado, cheese, jalapeños, onions, lettuce, and mayonnaise.
4459 Central Ave. in east Charlotte
(8) Chicken sandwich — The Asbury
Pickle brined & fried, with sorghum mustard sauce, muenster cheese, bacon, and bread and butter pickles.
235 N. Tryon St. in Uptown
(9) Panko Chicken Sandwich — Eight & Sand
Made with fried panko-breaded NC free-range chicken, red cabbage slaw, pickled onions, honey, Duke’s mayo, and pickle on a toasted brioche roll.
135 New Bern St. in South End
(10) Spiedie’s Chicken Sandwich — Reid’s Fine Foods
Grilled or fried with your choice of cheese and toppings.
(11) Fried Chicken Sandwich — The Crunkleton
Crispy buttermilk chicken, seasonal pickles topped with hot chile honey on a brioche bun.
1957 E. 7th St. in Elizabeth
(12) Big John Sandwich — Pinky’s Westside Grill
6-ounce chicken breast (fried or grilled) with swiss, bacon, lettuce, tomato, and topped with honey mustard.
(13) Billy D’s Fried Chicken Sandwich — Haymaker
Fried chicken with celery seed slaw, B&B pickles, and white BBQ sauce on a housemade potato bun. Typically served on the brunch menu.
225 S. Poplar St. in Uptown
(14) Hot Chicken Sandwich – The Waterman
Fried chicken with a spicy glaze, lettuce, tomato, house-made pickles, and mayo on a brioche bun. And it’s on special for Wednesday lunches.
2729 South Blvd., Ste. D in South End
(15) Sammie the Chicken — Wooden Robot (Twisted Eats)
Pan-seared chicken, bacon jam, avocado, kale & sunflower pesto, arugula, and ranch.
1440 S. Tryon St., Ste 110 in South End
(16) Juicy Jay’s Grilled Chicken Sandwich — Legion Brewing SouthPark
Wood-grilled chicken with a spicy wing rub and topped with Juicy Jay slaw, spicy honey, bread and butter pickles, and tomato on a brioche roll.
(17) The Boxcar Chicken Sandwich — Boxcar Betty’s
Pimento cheese, peach slaw, house pickles, and spicy mayo.
1115 N. Brevard St., Optimist Hall
(18) Kickin’ Chicken from Local Loaf
Sneaky good and underappreciated: The “kickin’ chicken” at Local Loaf is actually a collection of a half-dozen hand-breaded chicken tenders, the store’s own hot sauce, garlic aioli and pickles on a brioche bun.
800 East 36th St. in NoDa
(19) New Orleans Chicken Sandwich at Community Matters Cafe
Buttermilk fried chicken dipped in a cajun hot sauce with slaw and pickles, served on brioche.
821 W. 1st St. in Uptown
Editor’s note: We first published this list on Jan. 5, 2021, and updated it on Nov. 7, 2021.
Looking for more Charlotte food and drink guides? Here’s a complete list of Agenda guides including best burgers, best bars, best new restaurants, best weekly specials, best pizza, best cocktail bars, and best brunch.