Papi Queso, the beloved grilled cheese food truck, will open its new brick-and-mortar space on Tuesday, October 1 at Optimist Hall.
An expanded menu will include new items (rolled out gradually over the first few weeks) like a burger melt grilled cheese, buffalo chicken grilled cheese, mozzarella sticks, mac and cheese and daily frozen slushies.
“Our new Ferrari of griddles will hold three times the amount of Grilled Cheese than we are able to cook at one time on the truck,” co-owner Brian Stockholm told the Agenda.
Grilled cheese menu:
- The Pig Mac – slow smoked, Cheshire pork, mac and cheese and caramelized onions ($10)
- Mushroom Gruyere – grand cru gruyere, fontina, pan-roasted mushrooms and truffle cream ($9)
- Buffalo Chicken – smoked fried chicken, Srirasha-soy glaze, toasted sesame chile crisp and cilantro ranch ($10)
- Burger Melt – house-ground beef patty, Swiss, America, caraway onions, thousand island sauce ($9)
- Bacon Jalapeno – applewood smoked bacon, jalapenos, red onion, cheese curds and pepper jelly ($8.50)
- Mac Melt – mac and cheese, bechamel, sea salt and fresh herbs ($6.50)
Sides: Tomato soup with tarragon cream ($3.50), mac and cheese with brown butter bread crumbs ($5), house-made dill pickles ($2), golden fries with rosemary and sea salt ($3), mozzarella sticks with Jersey marinara sauce ($7.50) and kettle chips ($2.50).
Fun fact: Papi Queso launched their food truck on September 17, 2012. So, the opening of their new food stall at Optimist Hall will happen just after their seventh anniversary. Co-owner Shelley Odom explained that she’s excited about “having a permanent location that our fans can easily find us with seating that will allow us to spend more time with guests.”
Hours: 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday; 11:00 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday; 10:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Saturday; and 10:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday.
Still to open at Optimist Hall: Suarez Bakery and Barra, Village Juice Co. , Ava (pizza), Billy Sunday (cocktails), Velvet Taco, Aix Charlotte (French rotisserie), Fonta Flora Brewing, Botiwalla (Indian), El Thrifty Social Club (Mexican), Felix’s Empanadas.