Licensed Lead Preschool Teacher (HIRED)
Under the direction of the Licensed Preschool Coordinator and in accordance with the Christian mission of the YMCA, the LPS Lead Teacher will develop, implement and coordinate all classroom activities and lesson plans. The Lead Teacher assumes full responsibility for the welfare, supervision and safety of the children enrolled in the programs. The Lead Preschool Teacher will ensure quality programs, safe activities and participant satisfaction. This position is located at our Morrison YMCA branch located at 9405 Bryant Farms Rd, Charlotte, NC 28277.
• Promptness and consistent attendance.
• Utilize planning time to develop age-appropriate curriculum.
• Assist in drop off and pick up process each preschool day and oversee the use of check-in/check-out software.
• Lead daily activities utilizing the schedule and designating tasks accordingly.
• Act as a positive role model for Assistant Teaching staff.
• Assign classroom duties to Assistant Teaching staff.
• Utilize Listen First skills when communicating with parents/guardians and serve as a liaison between the program and parents.
• Develop and regularly use a monthly communication tool to keep parents informed about classroom activities and events.
• Monitor staffing needs and adjust schedule as necessary to reflect attendees and ratios (i.e., cutting staff when numbers are low).
• Complete all daily duties such as reports and end of day cleaning.
• Attend required staff meetings.
• Promote and participate in YMCA programs, membership and events.
• Encourage and display healthy eating habits with parent and child.
YMCA Leadership Competencies:
• Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values.
• Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs.
• Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them.
• Supports fundraising.
• Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others.
• Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view and remains calm in challenging situations.
• Listens for understanding and meaning.
• Speaks and writes effectively.
• Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
• Makes sound judgments and transfers learning from one situation to another.
• Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
• Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings.
• Follows budgeting policies and procedures and reports all financial irregularities immediately.
• Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
• Pursues self-development that enhances job performance.
• Demonstrates an openness to change and seeks opportunities in the change process.
• Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships.
• Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well.
• Uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
• At least 3 years of professional classroom experience with children of preschool age.
• Minimum high school diploma.
• Meets quality standards of YMCA of Greater Charlotte and the State of NC and maintains all training and certifications required within an allotted timeframe.
• Must have or be willing to obtain, NC Early Childhood credentials within 3 months of hire.
• Strong personal relations skills.
• Practices caring, respect, faith, honest and responsibility.
• Knowledge of general YMCA programs, philosophies and objectives.
• Ability to work in and resolve conflict situations.
• Ability to work irregular work hours.
• Ability to walk, stand and sit (including on the floor) for long periods of time.
• Exposure to communicable diseases and bodily fluids.
• Must be able to lift and/or assist children up to 50 pounds in weight.
• Must be able to lift and carry food up to 20 pounds.
• Ability to stand or sit while maintaining alertness for several hours at a time.
• Position may require bending, leaning, kneeling and walking.
• Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate.
Why work with us:
There has never been a better time to join the YMCA of Charlotte! Our employees enjoy a diverse and inclusive environment and the opportunity to do cause-driven work to impact our communities through Youth Development, Healthy Living & Social Responsibility.