Velvet Taco, a funky fast-casual restaurant chain based out of Dallas, is now open in a 500-square-foot stall next to Village Juice Co. inside Optimist Hall.
“Charlotte is an amazing city and we are excited to be part of the community. We have been wanting to grow in Charlotte for over a year, and we feel that Optimist Hall is a great starting point for us,” Velvet Taco President Clay Dover told the Agenda.
“The Sky is the limit for Velvet Taco’s menu. We have globe-trotting flavors and inventive combinations that are chef-driven, scratch kitchen prepared and an innovative menu of tacos and sides that we believe Charlotte will love.”
This is their first North Carolina location, and the Dallas-based concept also has restaurants in Dallas, Austin, Houston, Fort Worth, Chicago and Atlanta.
Why Charlotte: “Velvet Taco is excited to enter the Charlotte market with our first location located within Optimist Hall,” says Clayton Dover, President of Velvet Taco. “We feel this is the perfect location, demographic and standard to be successfully serving recipes from around the world in a taco.”
Hours: Hours are Monday through Thursday 11 a.m. to 9 p.m., Friday 11 a.m. to 10 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Sunday 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Here’s their full menu, which has been curated for their stall at Optimist Hall. The list will always include these nine staples, plus WTF (weekly taco feature).
- Buffalo chicken – crisp tenders, house buffalo sauce, Danish bleu cheese, ranch crema, carrots, micro celery, flour tortilla ($4.50)
- Spicy tikka chicken – crisp tenders, spicy tikka sauce, buttered cilantro basmati rice, raita crema, Thai basil, flour tortilla ($4.60)
- Nashville hot tofu – crispy tofu, napa slaw, ranch crema, house brined pickles, flour tortilla ($3.75)
- Fried paneer – tomato chutney, tikka sauce, raita crema, Thai basil, flour tortilla ($3.95)
- Kobe bacon burger – peppered bacon, smoked cheddar, lettuce, onion, tomato, pickles, velvet sauce, flour tortilla ($4.95)
- Slow-roasted angus brisket – barbacoa style, red chile mayo, avocado relish, queso blanco, micro cilantro, comté cheese, encrusted flour tortilla ($5.50)
- Fish n’ chips – curry mayo, malted french fries, napa slaw, beer battered Atlantic cod, pea tendrils, flour tortilla ($5.50)
Brunch (served all day)
- Chicken & waffle – crisp tenders, peppered bacon, peppercorn gravy, green apple slaw, maple syrup, red chile aioli, chives, waffle tortilla ($4.95)
- Brisket & eggs – salsa verde, roasted corn pico, queso fresco, cilantro, flour tortilla ($4.95)
- ‘Elote’ corn – queso listo, Valentina, crema, queso fresco, lime ($4.25)
- Red curry queso – pickled onion, queso fresco, Thai basil, blue chips ($4.95)
- Barbacoa beer nachos – blue corn chips, queso blanco, roasted corn pico, lime crema, salsa verde, queso fresco, micro cilantro ($5.25)
Optimist Hall: Ava Restaurant, Bao & Broth, Dumpling Lady, Bao & Broth, Honeysuckle Gelato, Papi Queso, Undercurrent Coffee, Zukku Sushi, Pet Wants, Spindle Bar, El Thrifty Social Club, Archer Paper, and Village Juice have opened so far.
Okay, here’s a photo tour of Velvet Taco’s space and tacos.