Belk College of Business Communications and Events Specialist
This position will have primary responsibilities for managing and implementing communications for the Belk College of Business, in particular to reach internal audiences, external audiences including the business community. The position will develop communications materials for specific strategic areas of the Belk College, such as original and solicited content, including message for letters, articles, blog posts, social posts, etc. This position will plan, organize, manage and execute strategic Belk College communications projects and events from research, planning, implementation and measurement. This position will contribute to the overall External Relations strategy and priorities of the Belk College. This position will work with the Executive Director of External Relations on strategic or priority issues. This position will plan/coordinate special events as assigned. This position requires some knowledge of communications tools, including but not limited to: Drupal web content management system, enewsletter software, social media management, InDesign, Photoshop, Powerpoint, etc.
Essential job duties:
This position will support communications and events for key priorities of the college, based on the college’s external relations strategy to reach students, prospective students and to engage and inform the business community. This position primarily will serve the focus areas of Belk College Undergraduate Programs and the Childress Klein Center for Real Estate, but will also help respond to emerging communications/events priorities of the Belk College, as assigned.
• Develop communications materials for specific areas of the Belk College, depending on key external relations priorities.
• Seek, develop and distribute original and solicited content, including message for letters, articles, blog posts, social posts, etc., for assigned areas using UNC Charlotte/Belk College External Relations strategy/key messaging and adhering to UNC Charlotte brand standards.
• Coordinate information for college priorities, including distribution of college materials to key stakeholders and public sharing for broad awareness including website posting.
• Contribute to fundraising and impact news about key priorities of the college.
• Develop stories to share with University Communications and to share with local/state/national media.
• Participate in University communications meetings and committees as assigned.
• Plan, organize, manage and execute communications projects and events related to key priorities from beginning to end, with support from the External Relations team and Director.
• Manage deadlines and project objectives, using detailed timelines/schedules, resource assignment and quality control measures.
• Work with creative partners (university, photographers, videographers, printers, etc.) as needed to produce high-quality communications.
• Implement communications plan, strategies and tactics in proactive manner to increase visibility for key priorities and programs of the Belk College.
• Plan, coordinate and manage key messages of priority areas of the college.
• Work with communications ambassadors (students and alumni) to promote events and content of interest to students and alumni.
• Help coordinate and promote special events, including (but not limited to) real estate summits, #CREFuture events, CEO Speaker Series, Niblock Student Center major events and signature events of the college as assigned.
• Bring ideas and help coordinate social media campaigns for priority areas as assigned.
• Use technology tools, including but not limited to: Drupal web content management system, social media platforms, Dropbox, Google Drive, Powerpoint, Adobe Creative Suite software.
• Help produce and edit stories, videos and photos about the Belk College and/or work with multimedia specialists and photographers for strategic productions.
• Help with major website projects, such as Drupal template changes, website design updates, etc. Update assigned websites regularly, especially the homepages and key landing pages and work with team members to make website improvements.
• Provide and maintain materials for Admissions about Belk College undergraduate programs. Update the Admissions brochure for Belk College regularly and manage printing.
• Help develop storyboards and video ideas about Undergraduate programs.
• Work with Executive Director of External Relations on strategic or priority issues of the Belk College. Work with college leadership to on key communications priorities.
• Work with supervisor to understand and prioritize the expectations and goals of respective areas of responsibility.
Consulting and advising
• Serve as key communications liaison for priority areas as assigned.
• Serve as brand manager and ambassador of priority areas, helping to audit and manage key messages, images and materials.
• Develop communications materials, including digital, print and other materials, to encourage student enrollment, interest in programs, fundraising or event attendance.
• Recommend process and strategy improvements where possible.
• Source information about students and programs as assigned.
• Gather, write, produce, develop and share communications materials, including but not limited to Undergraduate Programs and Chi materials.
• Update key messages and copy for online materials.
Minimum education and experience:
• Graduation from a four-year college or university with a major in a closely related field that provides the knowledge, skills and abilities needed in the area of assignment or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Preferred skills and training
• Higher education experience is highly desirable.
• Event planning and project management experience is highly desirable.
• Social media work experience is desirable.
• Web content management system experience (Drupal preferred) is desirable.
• Exceptional user-focused writing and editing skills, strong grammar and communication skills.
• Ability to work independently and prioritize work while managing multiple deadlines.
• Strong organizational skills, detail oriented, high degree of accuracy and ability to multitask.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office, Internet applications, such as Google docs and Dropbox.
• Ability and willingness to travel to various work and event locations.