As a Staff Accountant, this position processes payables and disbursements, creates journal entries in the general ledger, performs reconciliations and period closing entries, processes payroll and related benefits for orchestra and staff, all while using initiative and good judgment in problem-solving. This person will also work closely with the Director of Finance to report sales tax to the state of North Carolina, develop the budget and forecasts for the organization and prepare financial reports and statements. The role requires extensive data entry including AP and payroll entry.
Specific accounting/bookkeeping responsibilities:
• Manage all aspects of day to day bookkeeping and accounting processes including but not limited to A/P, A/R, payroll, journal entries and bank reconciliations in accordance to GAAP.
• Prepare Journal Entries for prepaid expense, deferred revenue and payroll cash accounts.
• Process and pay all invoices in a timely manner.
• Maintain vendor files and manage all vendor communications.
• Receive and deposit all organizational revenue.
• Execute bi-weekly payroll activities using a 3rd party payroll service provider.
• Perform annual 1099 reporting process for vendors.
• Prepare monthly and quarterly financial reports, including standard financial reports, budget vs. actual reports and grant-specific financial reports.
• Work closely with Director of Finance to execute month-end closing procedures and postings.
• Coordinate with Director of Finance and Auditors in preparation of year-end audit workpapers and IRS 990 filings.
• Support Director of Finance in development and analysis of annual organization budget.
• Maintain accounting procedures and policies and systems of internal controls to ensure the integrity of all financial systems.
• Accounting degree or equivalent work experience.
• 3 years’ work experience in a bookkeeping/accounting function.
• Experience working in nonprofit multi-fund accounting.
• Familiarity with Financial Edge a plus, including all normal accounting transactions, GL management, budgeting and reporting.
• Advanced Excel skills.
• Experience with going through a financial audit.
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
• Attention to detail, strong communication skills and problem-solving are critical.