Thirty of 32 retailers and restaurants and NOVEL Atherton apartments are now open at Atherton Mill in South End.
Why it matters: When national retail developer EDENS purchased Atherton Mill in 2006, they had big plans for what they felt could be the new center of gravity for South End.
- Their bet paid off. Atherton is now 116,000 square feet of top-notch dining, shopping and entertainment that continues to drive development in the area.
Layout: Atherton is made up of three buildings located between South Boulevard and the Rail Trail. The single-story brick building, home to Free People and O-Ku, is the original property. The newest building running along South Boulevard has an apartment complex stacked on top, and Legion Brewing’s highly anticipated Trolley Barn Fermentory will be in a two-story building behind it.
- The Eagle – Fried chicken restaurant with Southern sides, craft beer and live music. It opens in January.
- Legion Brewing’s Trolley Barn Fermentory – Expect indoor and outdoor seating, a second-floor mezzanine, and patio with unobstructed views of Uptown Charlotte. Expect it to open late spring, early summer 2021.
Open now (original building):
- Not Just Coffee
- O-Ku (No. 1 sushi restaurant)
- Big Ben (English-style pub)
- Free People
- Brideside (Chicago-based bridesmaid dress retailer)
- Alton Lane (custom menswear)
- Living Kitchen
- Bookout Blooms (flowers)
- Society Awards
- Savory Spice Shop
- Sola Salon Studios
- Vin Master (wine shop)
- Warby Parker
- Society Social – Furniture store that specializes in punchy custom designs made in-house and gifts for interior design lovers and people who love hosting.
Open now (new building):
- Uniquities – This women’s boutique is comparable to Monkee’s in terms of helpfulness/friendliness of staff, price point and variety of cool-girl brands (including Loeffler Randall, Rag & Bone, Misa, Citizens of Humanity, Amanda Uprichard, AG).
- Madewell – Size-inclusive women’s clothing store known for their denim and easy-to-wear, laid-back style.
- Arrow – Cool barbershop that offers haircuts, shaves, and beard trims — and a free beer with your service.
- Barry’s – Trendy, high-intensity, interval-based workout class that can help you burn up to 1,000 calories per session.
- Drybar – Salon that only does blowouts and updos, and that has incredible hair products.
- Bonobos – This men’s retailer features everyday wear, suits, swimwear and golf apparel.
- Lululemon – Fitness and lifestyle clothing brand for men and women.
- Sephora – High-end makeup and beauty retailer that carries some of the best brands in the business.
- Indaco – This highly rated Charleston-based Italian restaurant specializes in pasta, pizza and cocktails.
- West Elm – They have furniture bedding, and other home goods with a contemporary design.
- Cava – Build-your-own Mediterranean bowl and pita concept.
- The Golden Carrot – This jewelry store carries a curated selection of whimsical jewelry from multiple independent designers.
- Las Olas – Charleston-based bathing suit shop with bikini separates priced around $100.
- OVME – Medical spa specializing in Botox, CoolSculpting, dermal fillers, and laser hair removal.
- Boem – Local boho-chic boutique with brands like Free People, Wooden Ships, Show Me Your Mumu, Blank NYC, etc.
Apartments: NOVEL Atherton, a 346-unit apartment community on top of the ground-floor retail, is now leasing. Rent starts at $1,422 for their 594-square-foot studio up to around $3,000 for their fanciest two-bed, two-bath, 1,172-square-foot unit.
- Go deeper: 36 best apartment communities in Charlotte
Read more: 28 things to do, eat, and drink in South End