Senior Director of Healthy Living (HIRED)
The Harris YMCA is one of the largest YMCA branches in the country serving over 23,000 members through a variety of family programs, classes and amenities on over 30 acres of property in the heart of the South Park area.
Under the direction of the Associate Executive Director of Membership, the Senior Healthy Living Director will be responsible for developing, coordinating and supervising the branch’s healthy living programming including fitness center experience, group fitness, personal training, functional training and community health. The Senior Director will lead a team of full-time and part-time directors, coordinators and lead staff to ensure the “best-in-class” execution of assigned areas. Working closely with the Regional Healthy Living Director and the branch Member Experience team, this leader will create and lead an ecosystem of innovative health-focused programs and services at the assigned branch. As a member of the branch leadership team, the Senior Healthy Living Director will create and embrace a diverse and inclusive YMCA community to grow our local impact, activate our global network and multiply our mission.
• Directly responsible for the research, development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programs, in collaboration with Association Healthy Living leadership.
• Facilitate and oversee the organization, management and daily operations of quality health, fitness and wellness programs.
• Provide effective fitness and wellness programs for adults, teens, children, seniors and special populations that drive growth in membership and program participation.
• Ensure Program portfolio fully aligns with Regional and Association strategies, structure and quality standards.
• Build a network of Program volunteers through effective recruitment, training and stewardship.
• Build and maintain relationships with community and corporate partners with specific focus on off-site fitness programs, community health and corporate wellness.
• Develop and implement branch, regional and association-wide health and wellness special events and promotions.
• Partner with marketing and communications department to ensure effective promotion and visibility of all program areas.
• Develop and implement off-site fitness and personal training program partnerships.
• Lead through the YMCA core values: caring, honesty, respect, responsibility and faith. Model relationship-building skills in all interactions.
• Recruit, hire, train, coach and mentor healthy living team of servant leaders while driving a culture of service.
• Provide indirect guidance and support to the Membership department to create a cohesive member experience.
• Utilize Association tools and standards in completing and administering performance evaluations and individual development plans.
• Plan and organize staff meetings to ensure consistent communications, directions and accountability.
• Manage bi-weekly payroll.
• Work symbiotically with the Member Experience team to develop, implement and manage operating plans to promote program and membership growth for the YMCA.
• Ensure a culture of inclusion that builds and celebrates diversity within the Y and our community.
• Develop and manage Healthy Living Department budgets including fitness, group fitness in specific locations, personal training, wellness and other related programs. Demonstrate sound fiscal management skills.
• Ensure safety and maintenance of facilities, grounds and equipment to minimize risk to members, participants and the Association.
• Provide leadership and support to the annual fundraising campaign and volunteer committees/boards as assigned.
• Reinforces the Y’s values within the organization and the community.
• Effectively communicates the benefits and impact of the Y’s efforts for all stakeholders.
• Implements effective systems to develop volunteers at program, fundraising and policy leadership levels.
• Secures resources and support for all philanthropic endeavors.
• Develops strategies to ensure staff and volunteers reflect the community.
• Builds and nurtures strategic relationships to enhance support for the Y.
• Serves as a community leader building collaborations based on trust and credibility to advance the Y’s mission and goals.
• Communicates for influence to attain buy-in and support of goals. Provides tools and resources for the development of others.
• Integrates multiple thinking processes to make decisions.
• Involves members and community in the development of programs and activities.
• Ensures execution of plans.
• Institutes sound accounting procedures, investment policies and financial controls.
• Assigns clear accountability and ensures continuous improvement.
• Fosters a learning environment embracing diverse abilities and approaches.
• Creates a sense of urgency and positive tension to support change.
• Anticipates challenges that can sidetrack or derail growth and personal learning.
• Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well, uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Education and skill requirements:
• 4-year college degree in health and/or fitness related field and/or equivalent experience in related field is required.
• 4 years experience in a fitness-focused role to include fitness center experience, personal training, group fitness, community health, family fitness and other related programs.
• Demonstrated experience in recruiting, hiring, training and development of volunteers and staff.
• YMCA Multi-Team or Branch Leader certification or ability to attain certification within three years of hire.
• Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
• High level of organization demonstrating sound judgment, initiative and independent thinking
• Ability to develop short and long-term plans.
• Ability to effectively work/interact with diverse populations.
• Computer literate. Knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Excel, Word, Outlook and database management.
• High ethical standards and possess strong personal and professional integrity.
• Ability to successfully obtain certification in CPR/AED and First Aid.
• Ability to work in excess of a 40-hour week with irregular work hours.
• Ability to walk, stand and sit while maintaining alertness for extended periods of time.
• Exposure to communicable diseases and bodily fluids.
• Must be able to lift, push, pull and carry up to 50 pounds in weight.
• Position may require bending, leaning, kneeling and walking.
• Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate.
• Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency.
• Ability to view/enter data for long periods of time.
• Ability to travel as needed.
• $50,000-$55,000 a year.