Corporate Counsel, Commercial and Technology (HIRED)
Lowe’s Companies, Inc. (NYSE: LOW) is a FORTUNE® 50 home improvement company serving more than 18 million customers a week in the United States, Canada and Mexico. With fiscal year 2017 sales of $68.6 billion, Lowe’s and its related businesses operate or service more than 2,390 home improvement and hardware stores and employ over 310,000 people. Founded in 1946 and based in Mooresville, N.C., Lowe’s supports the communities it serves through programs that focus on K-12 public education and community improvement projects. For more information, visit Lowes.com.
The primary purpose of this role is to identify legal risks and execute a mitigation plan by understanding legal issues and translating them into easily understood and practical legal advice and counsel to applicable client group. This includes responsibility for managing, negotiating, drafting and overseeing a variety of complex and cutting-edge commercial and technology matters and agreements. The position will: review, draft, negotiate and provide business-focused legal advice with respect to digital and technology transactions (SaaS, software license and software/application development agreements), establish and update digital and technology agreement forms, conduct legal research, provide legal advice on routine issues impacting the business and analyze and summarize routine legal documents. This role manages and supports client groups by providing practical legal advice and recommendations on day to day legal issues, enabling the client to meet its business objectives, consistent with the Company’s risk tolerance.
The ideal candidate is a business-minded commercial attorney who understands business objectives and helps balance legal risks under tight deadlines. This individual is also a creative problem-solver with a great attitude and a team player who is collaborative.
• Provides legal counsel and negotiation of contracts related to technology, including privacy and data protection, information management, technology outsourcing and procurement, software licensing, cloud service providers and data/services hosted by third parties, software development and data and analytics.
• Monitors developments, including proposed legislation and court decisions related to technology, including data privacy laws and evaluates impact on operations.
• Recommends and provides legal advice and support to the company’s IT organization in developing routine policy and procedural improvements, consulting the business on issues related to technology and providing practical advice in response to rapidly changing conditions.
• Works with outside legal counsel and orchestrates legal processes on behalf of the company in liaison with outside counsel at the direction of Assistant General Counsel and executive leadership.
• Works with key strategic external relationships through involvement in industry, community or civic groups to bring added value to the company.
• Conducts legal research and applies research to facts and is able to communicate the analysis in an easily understood work product to leadership.
• Identifies legal risks and designs plans to mitigate and prevent routine legal risks.
• Drafts, reviews and negotiates a variety of agreements and documents and continuously seeks ways to improve the forms, processes or systems involved.
• Prepares and delivers training, memorandums and presentations to employees, management, executives or other members of the Legal Department on legal matters.
• Collaborates on complex projects and supports others in the Legal department (i.e. attorneys across the Legal Department in order to provide meaningful and practical advice and recommendations to clients).
• Negotiates with outside parties on contractual issues and legal disputes including settlement conferences or negotiating key contract terms.
Education and experience:
• Master’s Degree in Law and/or Juris Doctorate Degree.
• Active state bar member in good standing of at least one U.S. jurisdiction.
• 6+ years of relevant experience in a top tier law firm or mixture of relevant experience in top-tier law firm, corporate legal department setting and/or government agency.
• 1+ years of direct experience with public company legal issues, processes and procedures.
• 5+ years of demonstrated proficiency in one legal functional area.
• Career track of progressive, documented accomplishments with broad diversity of experiences.
• Knowledge and exposure to legal issues encountered by a multi-national retailer.
• Financial literacy, including basic understanding of project finance, accounting and tax issues.