Digital Communications Strategist (HIRED)
The Digital Communications Strategist serves as a key member of the digital communications team. This individual works with the other members of the team and colleagues in College Communications, Technology & Innovation (ITS) and academic and administrative offices and programs elsewhere on campus to strengthen and expand Davidson’s online presence, including maximizing the use of content, websites, email and social media channels.
• Develop and maintain relationships with faculty and staff across campus to help them organize and enhance departmental website workflow and content on college websites through design, usability, information architecture and the integration of multimedia and social media.
• Provide training, guidance and support to internal users working on institutional pages and ensure brand standards are met, including graphic identity and style standards. Assist with content workflow as needed.
• Co-manage with other digital communications staff the posting of news stories, homepage and top-level webpage content and other website content, including text, photos/galleries and video. Co-manage college institutional social media accounts and stay up-to-date on social media trends and new technologies.
• Website and email design work within provided templates. Design/optimize images for the website in Photoshop. Guide and assist in placing audio and video for playback on the website and social media sites.
• Review and analyze website traffic using Google Analytics and recommend strategic changes to maximize the reach of content. Keep records over time to review trends and changes in site traffic. Provide recommendations for changes to website structure, support, content strategy and meta-data in response to Web traffic statistics that provide better SEO and provide more efficient paths to digital content.
• Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, marketing, public relations or related field.
• At least 5 years of progressive professional experience, preferably in a higher education, non-profit, newspaper or agency setting.
• Experience writing, editing and proofreading with demonstrated mastery of grammar, punctuation and AP Style
• Proficiency in identifying and writing engaging content for the web and other digital platforms and efficacy in moving content from concept to implementation with little editorial oversight.
• Strong project management skills: ability to work independently, establish priorities, work within deadlines, organize effectively and multitask with strong attention to detail.
• Understanding of web content best practices, including knowledge of industry standards for web architecture and responsive design and familiarity with web usability, accessibility and search engine optimization techniques, including creating SEO-friendly content and adding metadata.
• Strong interpersonal, verbal communication and organizational skills.
• Mastery of Microsoft Office and experience using Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop and Acrobat.
• Experience using enterprise content management systems and knowledge of HTML and CSS is highly desirable.
• Experience using Google Analytics or other website analytical experience is highly desirable.
• Experience creating multimedia content, including online video/audio, preferred.
Why work with us:
Davidson College is a highly selective, independent liberal arts college located in Davidson, North Carolina, that has graduated 23 Rhodes Scholars and is consistently ranked in the top ten liberal arts colleges in the country. Faculty of Davidson College enjoy a low student-faculty ratio, emphasis on and appreciation of excellence in teaching and a collegial, respectful atmosphere that honors academic achievement and integrity.
At Davidson College, we believe the college grows stronger by recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff committed to building an inclusive community. In order to achieve and sustain educational excellence, we seek to hire talented faculty and staff across the intersections of diverse races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, socio-economic backgrounds, political perspectives, abilities, cultures and national origins.
This position has been filled. To search all open positions, visit our Job Board.