Director of Marketing (HIRED)
The Director, Marketing is responsible for developing and implementing integrated marketing plans to support all Discovery Place properties and services including Discovery Place Science, Discovery Place Nature, Discovery Place Kids and Discovery Place Education Studio. Initiatives and activities include advertising campaigns (digital, outdoor, print etc.), email, events, partnerships and promotions. The ideal candidate will be well-versed in digital marketing strategies and website management and have the ability to think strategically about consumer targeting, acquisition and retention. This person will provide creative direction and feedback to ensure brand standards and consistency across channels and supervises the activities of the Manager, Digital Marketing and Associate Manager, Marketing & Promotions.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following.
• Develops and implements marketing strategies and tactics to deliver against strategic goals set by the CMO.
• Develops plans based on market/competitive analysis, customer profiles and targeting tactics.
• Analyzes data and trends related to visitation, sales and participation.
• Develops insights to drive effectiveness of marketing executions and deliver increased attendance and revenue.
• Oversees digital activities (SEO, SEM/PPC, email marketing and analytics) and looks for opportunities to leverage software and technology in order to improve customer engagement and conversion rates.
• Oversees Discovery Place websites.
• Defines content strategy.
• Uses analytics to recommend updates/changes to improve conversion, performance and user experience.
• Partners with web development agency to maintain operations and technology.
• Manages Discovery Place email marketing program.
• Develops strategies to grow and segment list.
• Uses analytics to drive content.
• Oversees digital marketing (Google grant, SEM/PPC, SEO, display) in coordination with digital agency.
• Tracks digital performance. Defines and executes strategy to grow website usage and conversions. Coordinates content strategy with Director, Communications and Manager, Social Media.
• Oversees the development and execution of promotional campaigns and partnerships.
• Evaluates sales data to continuously analyze, develop and change marketing plan.
• Manages brand budgets.
• Collaborates across departments to identify sales opportunities, advise on consumer trends and feedback, as well as collect valuable insights on customer experiences.
• Develops marketing materials and sales tools. Oversees creative process and distribution.
• Provides leadership to the Associate Manager, Marketing & Partnerships and Manager, Digital Marketing and supports the Director, Communications in achieving earned media exposure.
• Stays abreast of latest trends, technologies and methodologies in marketing strategies, web design, production, etc.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong research and analytical skills.
• Experience with CRM software and database analytics.
• Knowledgeable in Google Analytics and Adwords. Google Tag Manager is a plus.
• Experience with media planning and negotiation.
• Advanced Excel skills.
• Ability to think creatively and innovatively.
• Budget-management skills and proficiency.
• Professional judgment and discretion.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies.
• Possesses excellent writing and editing skills and can write for different formats.
• Writes in the style and tone of the Museum.
• Speaks clearly and persuasively.
• Develops and manages project plans on time and on budget.
• Able to balance multiple projects and conflicting demands and to adapt timelines in changing conditions.
• Responds to internal client needs and meets commitments.
• Solicits client feedback to improve deliverables.
• Identifies and resolves problems in a timely and creative manner.
• Works well in group problem-solving situations.
• Willing to make decisions and displays accurate and sound judgment.
• Contributes to building a positive team spirit and overall success.
• Recognizes accomplishments of other team members.
• Inspires confidence, respect and trust.
• Displays passion and optimism.
• Delegates tasks, sets expectations and monitors progress with support as needed.
• Develops subordinates’ skills and encourages growth.
• Gives authority to work independently.
• Provides recognition for results.
• Develops strategies to achieve marketing goals and adapts strategy to changing conditions.
• Displays original thinking, creativity and resourcefulness.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and experience:
• Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from 4-year college or university.
• 5-7+ years of experience in marketing, communications or a related field or equivalent combination of education and experience, including management experience.
Abilities and skills:
• Must have superior writing ability.
• Writing samples are required.
• Must be able to write creatively for website, print collateral, advertisements and editorial.
• Must be able to express ideas to colleagues, designers and management.
• Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
• Understanding of media metrics and terminology.
• Knowledge and experience in Excel is required.
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
• Knowledge and experience with word processing software (Word), spreadsheet software (Excel), presentation software (PowerPoint).
• Working knowledge of Photoshop is desirable.
• Must be familiar Google Analytics and Google Ad Words. Knowledge of GTM is a plus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The employee is occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities; close, distance, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
• While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear and drive.
• Regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms and climb or balance.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities of this job. Other duties may be assigned.